Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart in Two Flavours

jnc71106

Hi all it's been a couple of months since i posted my last image on SGL. I have spent the last few obs nights imaging one target to try and get as much data as i could but alas as is alway the case things never go according to plan and i lost an entire nights imaging due to equipment difficulties.

In the end i managed to bag myself

20 x 15 min subs H-alpha

6 x 20 min subs OIII

6 x 20 min subs SII

not enough on the OIII and SII but it was all i could get, i might add to them at some point but for now i need a new target. First image mapped SII=Red Ha=Green OIII=Blue. Second image mapped Ha=Red OIII=Green+Blue. Yes there are a couple of issue with some noise etc but i've spent an absolute age trying to get the processing right on these. My first attempts were awful and thats being kind, I'm much happier with these versions

Thanks for looking

8050102705_56d3686e54_z.jpg

Heart Hubble Tonemapped 5 by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

8050104525_e067c66856_z.jpg

Heart Bicolor 2 by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't quite make up my mind which I like best. I'm not normally in favour of the Hubble Palette but this image is truly beautiful and so colourful. The bi-colour is more natural and maybe deeper in the detail. Lovely. I keep coming back and looking at these amazing images :)

This is one of my favourite parts of the night sky... :smiley: ... and for me both versions are superb (and congratulations on getting to grips with tone mapping - I've tried it a few times but never got the hang of it!).

To my mind this is one of those nebulae that also lends itself to an Ha/synth G/OIII treatment - Please forgive me... I can never resist when I see the heart nebula... :rolleyes:

IC1805JNC.jpg

(Narrowband is SO much fun :smiley:!)

This is one of my favourite parts of the night sky... :smiley: ... and for me both versions are superb (and congratulations on getting to grips with tone mapping - I've tried it a few times but never got the hang of it!).

To my mind this is one of those nebulae that also lends itself to an Ha/synth G/OIII treatment - Please forgive me... I can never resist when I see the heart nebula... :rolleyes:

(Narrowband is SO much fun :smiley:!)

because its you andy i will let it slide mate :smiley:

tonemapping is certainly an interesting method. the result works but it takes time to get it right, hopefully it will be easier from now as i've got my head around the process (i think)

Subtle but striking NB imaging. I'm happy cos I like them all!

Olly

very nice, i would be very happy with that image. I like Hubble best

Fay

fay and olly thanks very much

I like it :smiley:... It's not better than the other two though... just a different variant. In my (very limited) experience, this doesn't work for all nebulae, but there are some where it makes an interesting alternative. I've also seen something called a "Natural colour" variant (not too sure of the definition of the word "natural") which is mixed as follows:

R=80%Hydrogen+20%Sulfur, G=100%Oxygen and B=85%Oxygen+15%Hydrogen - Apparently this compensates for otherwise missing H-beta emission

I wouldn't know about that, but it's all fun :grin:

R=80%Hydrogen+20%Sulfur, G=100%Oxygen and B=85%Oxygen+15%Hydrogen - Apparently this compensates for otherwise missing H-beta emission

I wouldn't now about that, but it's all fun :grin:

and i wouldn't even know how to do that :grin:

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm getting it right either ( :rolleyes:), so hopefully someone will come along and confirm, but my take on it is:

Red channel - R=80%Hydrogen+20%Sulfur

Copy Ha image and paste into a new grayscale file. Set opacity to 80%.

Copy SII image and paste as new layer into the new grayscale file. Set opacity to 20%.

Flatten image and save - This will be the red channel

Green channel - 100% OIII

Blue channel - 85%Oxygen+15%Hydrogen

Copy OIII image and paste into another new grayscale file. Set opacity to 85%.

Copy Ha image and paste as new layer into this new grayscale file. Set opacity to 15%.

Flatten image and save - This will be the blue channel

Then open up a new RGB image and paste all of them into their respective channels...

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm getting it right either ( :rolleyes:), so hopefully someone will come along and confirm, but my take on it is:

Red channel - R=80%Hydrogen+20%Sulfur

Copy Ha image and paste into a new grayscale file. Set opacity to 80%.

Copy SII image and paste as new layer into the new grayscale file. Set opacity to 20%.

Flatten image and save - This will be the red channel

Green channel - 100% OIII

Blue channel - 85%Oxygen+15%Hydrogen

Copy OIII image and paste into another new grayscale file. Set opacity to 85%.

Copy Ha image and paste as new layer into this new grayscale file. Set opacity to 15%.

Flatten image and save - This will be the blue channel

Then open up a new RGB image and paste all of them into their respective channels...

What the hell I will give it a shot. I did try HOS but it looked just like HOO so didn't bother carrying on with it :)

Archived