Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart in Two Flavours

jnc71106

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear... I did these variants over a year ago and didn't note exactly what I did, only what seemed to looked "interesting" at the time - I'm afraid I can't remember :sad: - I just played with the sliders until I found one that appeared to make it start to go the right way (ie as other internet HOS images appeared to be). I would imagine it's going to be something related to blue, yellow and cyan though (sorry I can't be of more help - I'll try and make a note next time!)

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm getting it right either ( :rolleyes:), so hopefully someone will come along and confirm, but my take on it is:

Red channel - R=80%Hydrogen+20%Sulfur

Copy Ha image and paste into a new grayscale file. Set opacity to 80%.

Copy SII image and paste as new layer into the new grayscale file. Set opacity to 20%.

Flatten image and save - This will be the red channel

Green channel - 100% OIII

Blue channel - 85%Oxygen+15%Hydrogen

Copy OIII image and paste into another new grayscale file. Set opacity to 85%.

Copy Ha image and paste as new layer into this new grayscale file. Set opacity to 15%.

Flatten image and save - This will be the blue channel

Then open up a new RGB image and paste all of them into their respective channels...

well i've had ago at the above method andy and errrr not sure if i have got it right looks just like the bicolor version just a little different in the background, i've probably done it wrong or there is something else involved andy, had to use a few selective colour iterations to get the Red to come through after adding the Master Luminance think i went a tiny bit far though :rolleyes:

8063761846_1ddda2037f.jpg

RGB by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

It's still a VERY nice version, but as you say, it does look quite a bit like the HOO version - For comparison I just had a look at the J-PM site for his version of IC1805 and his is a fair bit less magenta on the red areas, but he's also somehow got Melotte 15 to shine more gold and got some more blue to show in the background around it (http://astroanarchy.zenfolio.com/p62690868/h2011cbfd#h2011cbfd)...

Of course it's all false colour anyway so I guess there are no real rules - It's just a case of what YOU like... I wonder if the world would have found the Hubble image of the "Pllars of Creation" so amazing if the guys at NASA had released it as an untouched SII/Ha/OIII as opposed to throwing a whole load of selective colour changes at it :rolleyes:

I've emailed J-PM anyway to check if my interpretation of the process for filter combining is correct - If I hear anything back, I'll let you know

PS if you've not looked at his website yet, and don't have an hour or more to spare, don't! Whenever I look at some of those images, especially his animated 3D's, I just can't stop staring at the screen! :smiley:

Archived