Good Moon atlas

ChrisThePuma

I am afraid the Kaguya Moon Atlas is not an atlas but a collection of highly detailed pictures taken by the Japanese orbiter, they are excellent, those that have been published, but I was a bit disappointed it did not include the famous Clavius. For the best in Lunar Atlases you need a copy of the one by Antonin Rukl, sadly out of print but s/h copies are available,at a price. However Hamilyn produced a small pocket book. Moon Mars and Venus written by Antonin Rukl and his Moon map is reproduced in this rather splendid little book, again out of print but s/h copies can be found :)

John.

For the best in Lunar Atlases you need a copy of the one by Anton Rukl, :)

The last edition of this superb lunar atlas printed was published by Sky and Telescope's publishing arm (now pretty much defunct). Secondhand copies often go for silly money, although I notice there is a copy on amazon going for only £14 plus postage - bargain!

I am afraid the Kaguya Moon Atlas is not an atlas but a collection of highly detailed pictures taken by the Japanese orbiter, they are excellent, those that have been published, but I was a bit disappointed it did not include the famous Clavius.

true. i have this book, and it's lovely, but the title is misleading. it's not really an atlas. the kids at school love it though. btw, if you can find a copy for sensible money, the book "full moon", which is a collection of the photos taken by the apollo astronauts is unspeakably awesome. and also not an atlas.

Is this the one your referring to?

The last edition of this superb lunar atlas printed was published by Sky and Telescope's publishing arm (now pretty much defunct). Secondhand copies often go for silly money, although I notice there is a copy on amazon going for only £14 plus postage - bargain!

I am afraid the Kaguya Moon Atlas is not an atlas but a collection of highly detailed pictures taken by the Japanese orbiter, they are excellent, those that have been published, but I was a bit disappointed it did not include the famous Clavius. For the best in Lunar Atlases you need a copy of the one by Antonin Rukl, sadly out of print but s/h copies are available,at a price. However Hamilyn produced a small pocket book. Moon Mars and Venus written by Antonin Rukl and his Moon map is reproduced in this rather splendid little book, again out of print but s/h copies can be found :)

John.

• 2 months later...

Forgot to post earlier

new book, very pretty photos from normal telescopes, useful info on observing and science but its one that you wouldn't want to ruin by taking outdoors

I like the bit about resolving power of different telescopes and the appropriate tests

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Photographic-Moon-Atlas/dp/1107019737/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356898547&sr=1-2

Archived