NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to pronounce "sidereal"

JBadger

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget sidereal; get yer knickers in a twist about Ronchi, Foucault, Chrétien, Boötes, & Szczepanski (and shake yer head condescendingly at those who struggle with columnation, Telerad, aperature and reticule)

(On the batphone with Tapatalk)

I tend to say sidder-ree-al.

This reminds me of things like Sony and Sega. I used to have a Say-gah Master System when I was in my teens but my mate used to have a See-gah MS. The consoles looked the same and we could swap games so I think they were the same machines :grin:. Although that's nothing compared to some of the drug names I hear in work, people crack me up when they ask for their Clop-a-dog (clopidogrel) and Ah-my-ass (amias) :grin:

Cider Eel. But I have no idea how to pronounce "sidereal". I hate all the bickering there is about pronunciation of astronomical terms. Who cares?! The universe is unendingly complex and intriguing, so who give a rat's bum whether it's Beetle-juice or beh-tel-jeu-ze or whatever.

OK, further to my comment above, it comes from the Latin "siderus" (star). The first syllable has a short vowel ("sid"). Strictly, then, I think it should be something like "sid-EER-ial" (which, being a pedantic git, is how I usually pronounce it). However, almost all experienced British astronomers I know say either "SIGH-DEER-ial" of "SIDDER-eel". But also, as I said above, nobody misunderstands any of these pronunciations unless s/he actively wants to.

I think.

Going by this method then, the icy moon of Saturn should be pronounced 'en-K-eladus',( named after Enkelados) but is usually pronounced En-Sel-adus@. I think the right way is the way you feel comfortable saying it. I am now ducking instinctively for my old headmaster to throw a board rubber....

Going by this method then, the icy moon of Saturn should be pronounced 'en-K-eladus',( named after Enkelados) but is usually pronounced En-Sel-adus@.

I have decided to pronounce it "enchiladas" because I like the idea of a moon being named after an item of Mexican cuisine.

James

Now that is an interesting one! There are many contradicting discussions on this so is it 'Reticle', 'Reticule' or either?

Either, though the latter form is less common and also means a sort of net bag. Isn't it nice to know you can use whichever you like without becoming an object of ridicule? (Or should that be ridicle? :)

James

On University Challenge they say Sid ear real - and Bo oh tees is like the kids shoe's bootees. According to the ancient greeks the story goes that the constellation of bootees is there kicking the proverbial behind of any constellation that can't pronounce sid ear real lol :)

Either, though the latter form is less common and also means a sort of net bag. Isn't it nice to know you can use whichever you like without becoming an object of ridicule? (Or should that be ridicle? :)

That's the camp I'm in and despite the 'lady's purse' connection (no sniggering at the back please ...) I use Reticule.

Pronunciation yes, stars / sidereal, they happen to be given Greek letters on our star maps, everything is reasonably ok till you reach the 14th letter Xi, so what do we all call this one then ? sorry if I am side tracking the issue, but it is all star related :)

John.

Going by this method then, the icy moon of Saturn should be pronounced 'en-K-eladus',
Yup, in classical Latin, all Cs are "hard" (as in "iceberg"? :grin: :grin: :grin::evil: ) -- hence Ketus, Kepheus, et ketera.

Now that is an interesting one! There are many contradicting discussions on this so is it 'Reticle', 'Reticule' or either?

Either. (It was my attempt at a "trick question" :laugh: )
Xi, so what do we all call this one then ?
"{almst-a-glottal-stop}KS{EYE}"
saɪˈdɪəriəl
The OED has səidĭə . rĭăl But, curiously, it has for other word of the same etymolygy, such as Sideral, both "si" and "səĭ",

The story goes a foreigner to London years ago was desperately trying to learn and pronounce the English language and was getting more and more depressed because of its complexity, when he saw " Oklahoma " pronounced success in large letters down the side of a bus, he jumped off the next bridge :D

John.

Archived