Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mauna Kea, Hawaii stargazing...

NickK

We've been driving for an hour. on route 190. the road carved through the lava as we pass the 1500ft elevation sign. The sun bright in the sky. We're reminded by signs that the fire risk is extreme - funny being on a volcano.. a reasonable 75degF outside..

We take a left onto saddle road (route 200), the desolate forbidding landscape reminds you of what could be if you deviate from the very windy steep drive. Thirty minutes more and we see a sign for Hilo - another 40 miles - as we pass the state park and then take the left up Mauna Kea access road.

The V6 kicks down a gear as the window screen wipers are going - the cloud bouncing off the window like rain. Taking it slow to avoid the invisible cows that frequent the area.. Up, up and steeper it gets as the outside temperature plummets to 51degF.. we climb out of the clouds in our personal aeroplane as we're pushed back in our seats. The blinding sun blazes and we feel it's naked heat through the windscreen.

Eventually we arrive at the Mauna Kea visitor's centre with a nice 54degF showing outside. I change from my shorts and t-shirt into fully layered gear, thick socks and hiking boots.

We say hello and we see a large number of celestron scopes waiting to be setup, the visitor's centre has everything you need (including hot drinks) and we settle down for a 30 minute video about the mountain which introduces not only the scopes here but importantly the Hawaiian folklore and why there is a strong feeling about the observatories on such an important site.

Sun sets.. and within 20 minutes the stars are appearing.. more.. and more.. the thick haze of the milky way centre marks the sky. They point the big (including a 14") cases at the planets - saturn shines bright with very very clear ring detail. Mars is less impressive without dark splotches than through my pentax though - possibly I'm not so used to mirrors than refractors :) Astrophysics mounts...

One of the guys has set up a small imaging setup (probably running at ~500mm fl) on a GTO-1 with a SBIG camera and using maxim. To one side plenty of 6"/8" dobs are sat for public use.

Looking down the mountain at the road the centre of the milky way shines brightly, over head the trail follows until it falls behind the mountain behind. NGC2516 very visible.. M31 visible with the naked eye and even more so with the finder scope I brought along. Globular clusters stand out.. the constellations are difficult to see nestled in amongst the carpet of stars.

It's bitter sweet as I don't have my own scope and imaging gear in one, if not the, prime astronomy locations in the world.. so I leave this peaceful place.. leaving nothing but my footsteps and the visual memory locked in my head..

Both our cameras aren't really night friendly (cannon ixus did a better job than the olympus semi-slr!).

If you come here - bring a proper camera, a proper lens and a tripod - then you'll leave with the images of awe.. and bring an english set of stargazing clothes as the temp here hit 51 degF (10 degC).. lastly a warning - the summit guided tours (you'll need a guided tour unless it's the weekend bring your own 4x4) bet booked up over a month ahead of time.

post-9952-0-60230600-1347658416_thumb.jp

post-9952-0-70529800-1347658847_thumb.jp

post-9952-0-23127300-1347658935_thumb.jp

I've been attempting to find a picture that illustrates the visual image you see.. this is close but it's not as forced visually. The hub would be at the south and the milky way arched over to the north behind.

http://upload.wikime...ky_Way_Arch.jpg

http://www.colorfulfootsteps.com/2011/12/30/stargazing-on-top-of-mauna-kea/

It helped that we had no moon either and perfect conditions.. the sky isn't going to get that dark again for me!

Additional - the visitor's centre is at 9,000ft. The summit is at 13,000+ft.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived