Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher Allview Multi-Function Computerised Mount.

FLO

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have missed this, but do you know if it's Nikon compatible?

I am sure the answer is yes, but you will probably need an adapter. I need to chat with OVL's tech' man when he returns from Photokina before I can give a more detailed response :smiley:

I am sure the answer is yes, but you will probably need an adapter. I need to chat with OVL's tech' man when he returns from Photokina before I can give a more detailed response :smiley:

Ta muchly, looking forward to the result :)

Sorry if I'm teaching people to suck eggs here...

But here is a couple of images that might help.

Stars further away from the pole appear to move faster than those close to the pole. Which is sort of true... but each and every star takes 23hr 56m to make one complete revolution - 360 degrees.

As you track the stars the position of the stars relative to each other in the FOV changes, for visual the effect is slight and you do not notice it much while looking into the EP, but for long exposure imaging it's a different story./

You need to rotate the camera one complete revolution for each day of tracking. If you just use an ALT/AZ mount which as Steve said, goes right a bit, up a but, right a bit up a bit and so on, you are not rotating the camera to reflect the changes in the FOV, but moving it in Altitude and Azimuth.

What you end up with is shown in the diagram below (on the right).

By rotating the camera in line with the one revolution per day you end up with a FOV rotating in line with the stars changing position during the night (left of the diagram).

Hopefully this has all made sense. But I'll leave you with this image... if this doesn't muck up your head nothing will :) Stars revolving in opposite directions :D

Cheers

Ant

i bought one of these today after the guy in the shop said it was perfect for tracking....doh :mad:

It wasn't our shop :angel:

To be fair if you are using it for visual astronomy then it 'is' perfect for tracking. Will you be using it for visual astronomy or astro-photography? :smiley:

If you plan some astro-photography then you should consider contacting your supplier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The Camera cable that comes with the mount is not suitable for a Canon D40, optical vision said they ordered cables for various cameras but will be about a month.

Does anyone know where i can source a cable for the Canon D40 to plug into this mount.

thanks

Paul

Just so you know, this is a cracking bit of kit.

First day of usage with a Canon 350D strapped to the top gave me these results.

http://www.merriott-astro.co.uk/widefield.htm

One heck of a mount for the DSLR, and looking at the mount close up it would easily take my PST that currently is used on my Celestron SE mount (larger of the 2 mounts) should the SE mount ever die from some nasty astronomical disease, such as clouditis!

oh.. and its a crowd puller, when I had it running at the local astronomy club it was the topic of conversation for the evening.

Dave

Maybe this will help

http://www.merriott-...at 23.18 #2.jpg

it shows the connector to the camera (left side) and that fits my Canon 350D

The other connector is the one into the mount.

The USB behind is to give you an idea of scale.

Looks like the mount connector is identical to the connector on the Canon camerasn they are mini jack plugs..

HTH

Dave

Thanks for the pic - looks like they have used 2.5mm stereo plugs both ends.... OVL are supposed to be sourcing a range of cables for other cameras ...

I already have quite a few with 3.5mm stero plugs on one end and the camera specific connector on the other...

Peter...

Although nobody has come back to me over this I'm afraid I have no knowledge whatever of the iOptron alternative and have never so much as seen one. The only iOptron I have tested is the iEQ45 which I reviewed for Astronomy Now.

I like the look of this SW mount and would be interested in trying it with our Lunt LS60 solarscope. I'll have to wiegh the Lunt, I guess, but the other question would be how easily I could get it to track once I'd plonked it down outside in the daytime with no alignment stars available, bar the sun. Can this be done?

As for explaing why alt az and equatorial tracking are different, my favourite explanation goes like this... When the constellation of Orion rises in the northern hemisphere the Hunter figure is tilted head to the left. When Orion sets the Hunter is tilted head to the right. This is the field rotation that an alt az tracking mount cannot remove. The nearer you are to the equator the more extreme this tilting effect is. At the north pole it does not apply.

Olly

Archived