NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy wider view at 190mm FL

Steve Ward

Just off to bed last night at 11 ( cloudy at 1/4 to ) when a last glance outside revealed clear sky ... :laugh:

Logic dictated bed after an all-night session the night before . . . . Yeah right . . !

Outside set-up and shooting by 00:15 . .1st proper sub at 00:36 , last frame at 04:55. . . :p

Had the EF 75-300 lens on the 1000D , set at 190mm / f5 , mounted directly on the HEQ5ProSynScan.

Mount behaved perfectly , in 5 hours the actual overall drift was just 5mm on full screen !

Shot a selection of exposures over the night and lost a few to planes ,satellites and dew , despite a very good dewshield I lost over half an hour to dew by taking my eye off the ball , soon cured with the hairdrier though.

Thanks to ollypenrice's comments I pushed things a little further than I'm used to . . .

In the final stack are 50 x 150s , 20 x 180s , 10 x 240s , 5 x 300s and 2 x 420s , all at ISO 800 .........ALL UNGUIDED................ :grin:

Dawn broke to finish the session and after shooting darks I retired for a couple of hours before my solar shoot . . . . :p

Enough waffle , here's the result . . .

M31200mmDoneOne.png

Canon 1000D + EF 75-300 lens @ 190mm /f5 , 50 x 150s , 20 x 180s , 10 x 240s , 5 x 300s , 2 x 420s , all at ISO 800. + Darks various to match lights.

Stacked and tweaked in DeepSkyStacker only.

Steve,

NOW I'm off for a kip . . . :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

How crucial is the initial polar alignment when you use the synscan. Do you do a rough polar alignment before doing the star align routine, then use the synscan to get accurate polar alignment, or do you do an accurate polar align before using the synscan for star alignment.

The Polar Alignment is vital for long unguided subs , I have aligned the mount using drift-alignment to be good for 4 minute unguided shots.

The more accurate the PA then the closer you'll be to getting the first star centralised for the Synscan side of things ( along with accurate location and time inputs) but the PA can be relatively way-off and not affect the Go-To performance as the two are not really related , once the handset knows where it is and the time and date it'll just go where it's told/asked.

My mount is set on 3 fixed points in the garden and is just carefully placed at the beginning of set-up , I then just switch on and enter the time/date and then just do a quick 2 star align to make sure nothings moved from the previous session , the alignment stars are now always in the central section of the 9-square grid in Liveview.

For the 2nd star I always pick the brightest named star near the nights target , when it's been tweaked into the centre of the chip I use it to focus on ( with a Baht mask)

I haven't looked through the polarscope for about 6 months since the drift alignment as I know that when the tripod feet are in their "sockets" the mount is polar aligned.

It's as near to a permanent pier set-up as I can get without the hassle of digging holes and without the worry of leaving expensive kit outside unattended

And I did the drift aligning with the 1000D Liveview screen and "Al's Reticle" , much easier than using an illuminated Reticle E/P.

I'm hoping that with already getting 4 mins unguided , when I get the Synguider hooked up the sub times should be virtually limitless . . .!

Steve.

And I did the drift aligning with the 1000D Liveview screen and "Al's Reticle" , much easier than using an illuminated Reticle E/P.

I'm hoping that with already getting 4 mins unguided , when I get the Synguider hooked up the sub times should be virtually limitless . . .!

Steve.

Whats 'Al's reticle?

Yes EOS utilities seems to work fine, Al.s reticule is a neat little gizmo. Thanks for the link Steve.

I'm trying to work out the Nexstar controller system and star alignment as we speak. (damned coold out there). I seem to have a prob with the precise goto function. It selects the nearest bright star as a starting point (Mirach) and askes you to centre it with the control buttons, but pressing the control buttons does nothing. So I just pressed enter and started taking a few subs to see how accurate it is. I'll see in about an hour. I think it may be a bit off target, but I'll try it all again later on.

That's a great image & being unguided too, think I've managed about 3 minutes before I got some trailing although I've still much to learn. Where I have my scope doesn't help as it's on the lawn as I have no patio living in a flat. I have put pegs in the ground to mark where the feet go & I just use the polarscope to align it as I just can't get my head round drift alignment. The images I've produced aren't great maybe I need more data? I do know my processing skills are poor which doesn't help either. Still it wont put me off I'll keep at it until I'm able to get something.

Very nice image Steve,good detail showing the dust lanes colour looks a little on the Magenta side maybe needs a little tweak..Really good tracking unguided.I use alignmaster which is a nice bit of software for polar aligning.

Archived