Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7635 Bubble Nebula

x6gas

Well I've had three good, clear night's here and dry days so I was able to leave my mount hibernated to cut down on set-up time (wish I had an Obsy!)

I don't have much worthwhile data to show for my efforts but I've done a lot of sorting out. I can now get reasonable results guiding with my OAG at 2800mm which has been a bit of a challenge but I'm happy with where I am.

My images were really noisey though - bad enough to be obscuring the target and I wasn't sure if it was because the setpoint cooling was only getting down to -20 C (usually go to -25 C in winter and this is my first summer imaging) or if it was the 900 second exposures. Anyway, I had a lot of fixed pattern noise that neither darks nor AA5's defect mapping could sort out. Some 90 second subs of M52 convinced me that the noise wasn't solely down to the length of the exposures so I was beginning to worry that my camer had developed a fault...

SGL to the rescue and another thread pointing to power leads as a possible source of noise. I'd be running the camera and filter wheel from the same power line as part of a loom, but using a seperate cable for the Atik 383L+ seems to have solved the problem. So pleased to have learnt so much, but this is all I have to show for now.

Celestron EdgeHD 11 on a DIY hypertuned CGEM DX, using QHY IMG0H and PHD to guide.

3 x 900 sec L exposures binned 2x2, stacked in AstroArt 5 with a quick tweak in PhotoPlus x4

Hopefully next time I post this target it'll be in colour with a lot more data but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get out of the scope for DS)s even at f/10.

post-11821-0-98175400-1347184951_thumb.j

Thanks for looking.

Archived