NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyliner 300P 12" Dobsonian (Solid-tube)

Got a feeling they are discontinued, in favour of the flex tube, though some dealers might still have one in stock

If that's the case then if I want a 12" DOB i've got to buy a Flextube, which will cost me more because of the extra portability which I don't need as I only ever observe from my garden. Also I would have to buy a shroud to convert into the equivalent of a solid tube ! Sounds crazy to me.

It looks as if I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a second hand one, but these don't seem to come along very often.

Peter

I would prefer a solid tube version but clearly Skywatcher don't want to run the two options in parallel in the 12" aperture size. The Flextubes actually weigh a bit more than the solid tubes, for some reason.

Thanks for the replies. Not heard of the GSO before. It looks a well made piece of kit, possibly superior to the Skywatcher ?. Price not too bad - £634 plus £32 p&p I think. I assume it would be coming from Germany. Has anyone seen or used one ? And has anyone bought from this company ? Pity there isn't an Enlish version of the site - as always the Bing translation is a bit of a joke !

But, I'm definately tempted ....

Thanks for the replies. Not heard of the GSO before. It looks a well made piece of kit, possibly superior to the Skywatcher ?. Price not too bad - £634 plus £32 p&p I think. I assume it would be coming from Germany. Has anyone seen or used one ? And has anyone bought from this company ? Pity there isn't an Enlish version of the site - as always the Bing translation is a bit of a joke !

They are the same as the Revelation dobsonians that were sold by Telescope House a while back. Also the mirrors and mirror cells are the same as those used on the Meade Lightbridge's. GSO make stuff for lots of brands :smiley:

Optically around the same as Skywatcher in my experience. Older ones can have issues with poor quality overcoatings on the mirrors which lead to the need for earlier re-coating than would otherwise be the norm. The primary mirror springs in the 12" ones are not up to the job of holding collimation so are often replaced with upgaded ones by owners.

We had a 12 inch solid tube skywatcher, which was very nice, and replaced it with a flextube for portability. However, we missed it so much, we've ended up buying another solid tube for home use, though this time a 10 inch GSO deluxe (partly because it came with a dual speed focuser, which is very handy for us as the missus and I have to refocus when we swap over at the eyepiece). Very happy with it, the movement is so smooth. We've ordered various items from Teleskop Service, including the GSO, and are very happy with their customer service.

Thanks very much Luke.

One question : It's obviously a huge beast ! Does the OTA seperate easily from the base for transportation to & from the house ( as the Skywatcher does ) , or once set up does it have to be moved as one piece ?

Peter

Peter

I bought the GSO Deluxe 10" from TS in Germany about 14 months ago. Very good service. Love the GSO. The action is a s smooth as silk, really is. It is a great scope. I have recently upgraded to a 16" Lightbridge, not because I didn't like the 10" (still have it), but because I was greedy !! :evil:

Damo636 of this forum has since bought the 12" GSO and is rather fond of it. Maybe contact him and ask any questions you might have.

Good luck

Regards

Barry

I would prefer a solid tube version but clearly Skywatcher don't want to run the two options in parallel in the 12" aperture size. The Flextubes actually weigh a bit more than the solid tubes, for some reason.

I imagine the two extra castings, steel rods, rod clamps, etc, add up to more in weight than the missing bit of rolled tin used in a reflector tube.

I find the extra weight is offset by how much easier a 900mm long heavy tube is to move around, than a not-quite-so-heavy 1500mm tube. For those with less strength and greater spatial awarness, the opposite may be true!

Russell

Sorry for the delay, Peter.

It takes a few seconds to separate the GSO 10 inch tube from the base. I always separate it and it's very light to move. I find it holds collimation well at home, I find the 12 inch Skywatcher a bit of a heft to put out, but I adore both scopes. For me, 10 inch is a nice compromise between aperture and being reliatively light, and it gets the most usage at home for me. But I might just be getting lazy!!

Thanks very much Luke.

One question : It's obviously a huge beast ! Does the OTA seperate easily from the base for transportation to & from the house ( as the Skywatcher does ) , or once set up does it have to be moved as one piece ?

Peter

Archived