Which head torch?

Hi All,

I'm looking to get an LED head torch so my hands a free when setting up.

I would like a switchable one (red and white) that's got a reasonably good, strong output and not going to fall apart in the first 5 minutes. What are people using that they are happy with please?

Many thanks :)

I really am not that keen on my Red / White light head torch. Maybe I should just leave it on red all the time but I want to do the actual observing with all light off forobvious reasons. Then when I want to turn it on again it goes Bright White - Even Brighter White - Red. Even keeping eyes closed I feel I am being deprived of much of the dark sensitivity that I have built up. And it is easy to make a mistake and get a bright flah that destroys it totally. And it is no good if there are others around.

I think I will snip out the white LEDS and see how I get on with that.

The head torch idea is a good one if only it didn't cycle through the leds.

David

Thanks for all the fast replies - plenty to check out there. I have a Heath Robinson one currently made from a very cheap white LED one with a red filter but it's just too dim. Prior to that was a 2 white and 1 red LED one. That was also a bit dim and didn't last very long. This time I think I'll spend a bit more on one and get a brighter one that lasts.

At my dark site I use an energiser while setting up (because the red light is very bright) then switch to a cheapo 12-led white headtorch covered with dark red filter gel. This gives a broad, even, dim illumination, rather than a small over-bright spot. For map reading I use a magnifying glass - that way I can make do with a dimmer light.

Thanks for all the fast replies - plenty to check out there. I have a Heath Robinson one currently made from a very cheap white LED one with a red filter but it's just too dim. Prior to that was a 2 white and 1 red LED one. That was also a bit dim and didn't last very long. This time I think I'll spend a bit more on one and get a brighter one that lasts.

Spend as much as you can afford and get a good one. I bought one of these and they are great. They are adjustable for brightness, red and white light, tiltable and the batteries last forever.

If you go to star parties other gazers will apprieciate you not having a cheepo that blinds everyone regardless of it being red.

Archived