Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ROR Observatory completed (almost) thanks to you!

Longinthetooth

This forum has been a superb resource for me as I (very) gradually worked my way through building a permanent home for my scopes. They got precious little use previously - we all know the problems - the scope itself is on the very limit of portability, has to negotiate flights of steps to get outside and by the time it's set up it has started to rain! Anyway having newly retired, and with some time on my hands at last, I resolved to build something to keep the scopes set up permanently. Without this forum I doubt if I would have had the confidence (or competence) to start out on my own. I was able to find a lot of good ideas and was able to contact folk to ask for further information about their builds. Not being particularly handy with the old toolbox I wasn't able to fabricate components like some folk here and I opted for ready made solutions wherever necessary (so it certainly wasn't as economic a build as it could have been).

Hut up and watertight.

ROR functions well and keeps weather out.

Scope mounted on pier is solid.

Scope is working well - a particular thank you to Steve Collingwood of Telescope House who resurrected it - what a fantastic service that was!!

Still to do!

Partition to make a small "warm room".

Still trying to get an old xp laptop to work with the scope and DSI3 camera - always something not configured properly!

Experiment with "remote operation" (warmer in the house!!).

A bit more security? Always a balance between not drawing unnecessary attention and making the hut difficult to break into!

Thanks to all here who have shared their builds!

John B

post-15367-0-40915600-1346080873_thumb.j

post-15367-0-59766000-1346080884_thumb.j

post-15367-0-99272100-1346080893_thumb.j

Many thanks all. Now able to go out to observe for a few minutes at a time - between showers!

Started on the partition - as you say Gina "small". Internal just 7x5 so always going to be tight especially for a six footer like me!

Still have gremlins in the electronics - so plenty to do yet!

Cheers

John B

Yes ... and slapping yourself with birch twigs etc ... and, of course, there is an extra snap to our winters up here!

5x5 for the scope to rotate in and 2x5ish for me. As you can see in the photo I have had to slant the ceiling down into the shed to reduce the artificial horizon made by the walls! At least that's the theory! I had a nice window left over from the kit I used so it went inside - it will make the "warm cubicle" (not so much a warm room!) seem larger - perhaps - and allow me to visually check the scope.

I would like to have built a bigger shed but this kit was good quality at a good price.

Cheers

John Bpost-15367-0-59854900-1346312575_thumb.j

Archived