Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope Cover for Dobsonians

I just wondered what type of covers are used if you keep your dobsonian out all night or you take it to star parties.

I am considering investing in a Telegizmos solar cover probably from OPT as I anticipate arranging some camping sessions through the autumn / winter with my !2" flextube.

The Telegizmos cover appeals, partly because of the specifications and also the range of sizes - although I am yet undecided on the best size, partly due to the bulkiness of the base.

I see those solar covers a lot. Much of the appeal is that they reflect a lot of radiation so the scope doesn't get overly hot during the day and hence is nearer to night-time temperatures when you go to observe. I ended up going for one of these covers: http://www.astrosystems.biz/covers.htm They are pretty waterproof but just white, not reflective.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far, certainly provides me with ideas I hadn't thought about, I will take a look at each of these.

I have an astro systems scope cover for my SCT and I do like the white colour for reflecting some sunlight and at night for locating the scope in the dark (if I need to).

Mine is being covered by a large tarpaulin that B+Q are selling for £5 at the moment. Fits my 12 inch scope and dob base. Cable tied the loops up to form a basic shape, and going to sew/glue the rest up to make a quick and fast watertight unit that can slip on an off easily. The base sits on a 97p tarpaulin sheet from Tesco, so that it doesn't get soaking wet and start to rot.

The Green Witch cover is a BBQ cover, which could save you some bunce. It is a decent cover, but can be had for less.

A bloke who used to work at Green Witch told me, which also explains why thy don't appear to have a tidy fit in any of their pictures.

Russell

For what it is worth, I looked at the Telegizmos covers and couldn't see the point, in Britain.

Okay, they reflect sunlight, but in the summer it is hours after sundown before you achieve astronomical darkness which is ample time for the scope to cool to ambient. In the winter, It's dark hours before you get home to view and thus, the scope has ample time to cool down from a maximum of 10deg above zero. Basically, if it's already outside and under a cover, then you're in a good position as soon as it's dark enought to view. The only issue is waterproof, as we have seen time and time again this summer. That's the prime consideration.

If we lived in a climate, as you can in the USA, where it can be 30deg during the day, but near zero at night - Then there's a Telegizmo need. But we don't.

Russell

Archived