Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommended accessories for XT8

I don't know if you've seen my smudged image topic, but I was talked into selling my scope (Meade ETX-90) for a replacement scope. I've always had my eyes set on an Orion XT8 8" dobsonian telescope. The scope comes with a 2" to 1.25" adapter, 25mm Orion Sirius Plossl EP, and some other stuff to overflow my accessory case. I already have a couple of eyepiece filters and eyepieces. But what would you recommend I get with this scope? I plan on getting a moon filter and filtere du solaire with my scope.

Here's the link for the scope: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes-with-Free-Shipping/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/398/p/102005.uts?refineByCategoryId=398

The moon filter is probably a waste of money. Look at the unfiltered moon for 10 seconds and you'll light-adapt. From then on it's all good. I do this with my 18", so you can easily do it with an 8". A light adapted retina provides higher acuity so you'll see more without the filter than with. All the filter does is cut out light and add another (usually cheap) element into the optical path.

Telrad & chair are very important accessories. Over time consider more eyepieces. Either check out second hand ones (look on Cloudy Nights or Astromart) or perhaps consider the Explore Scientific range, which are great value (near Nagler-like quality) and perpetually on sale.

What?! Viewing the moon through my ETX90 was blinding for me. Wonder why I have such great vision? If you view the moon often, you can probably severely deteriorate your vision or possibly go blind. A moon filter cuts down on glare and can increase the level of contrast and detail. I find looking at the moon absolutely painful during the first quarter. They're your eyes, but I'd suggest getting a moon filter. Funny how we just switched roles there, huh?

But thanks everyone so far! Keep it up!

Archived