NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Size comparison between 10" and 16" Dob

I don't care how unhumanly big a 16" f/4.5 Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount is, I still want one! :D

By the way, how high is the eyepeice holder from the ground?

Thanks for the comparison. :)

It depends..

I'm 5'9' and 50% of the time I'm 'sitting' on an ironing chair, 50% of the time I'm standing, with maybe a slight crouch. At about 70° alt I'm standing straight. Near zenith I need a small bit of help with a step of about 3-4 inches.

So, being honest, it's a bit more inconvenient than my 10", which I could sit all the time observing with an adjustable spinning chair, but the views are very much worth it. I can't wait for the long dark nights to really see the difference ESPECIALLY spring when I can get stuck into galaxy central !!

HTH

Bart

It depends..

I'm 5'9' and 50% of the time I'm 'sitting' on an ironing chair, 50% of the time I'm standing, with maybe a slight crouch. At about 70° alt I'm standing straight. Near zenith I need a small bit of help with a step of about 3-4 inches.

So, being honest, it's a bit more inconvenient than my 10", which I could sit all the time observing with an adjustable spinning chair, but the views are very much worth it. I can't wait for the long dark nights to really see the difference ESPECIALLY spring when I can get stuck into galaxy central !!

HTH

Bart

So that means at Zenith, I'll pretty much be the perfect height for standing observing :D (I'm 6 foot).

Thanks for the image. It would be funny to see my Heritage next to those two :D.

If I ever upgrade my 10" Lightbridge (prety much a certainty!!) Im geting the 12" or the 16". My garden isnt dark enough to warrantthe 16" if I cant get it into the car. Looking at the weights of the various bits, Im pretty sure I can manage the 12" for car transport, but the 16" looks a bit of a beast when t comes to weight. Fantastic looking scope(s) though.

Dave

Nice to see a size comparison Barry as I've placed an order for a 16" f/4.5 dob. :cool:

The height of the EP at zenith of mine will be 65" which is fine by me as I never observe at the zenith anyway so should be able to carry on seated with the faithful old ironing chair. :)

Nice to see a size comparison Barry as I've placed an order for a 16" f/4.5 dob. :cool:

The height of the EP at zenith of mine will be 65" which is fine by me as I never observe at the zenith anyway so should be able to carry on seated with the faithful old ironing chair. :)

I find it difficult to nudge the Dob (all Dobs) near zenith as you dont get the leverage with the OTA being vertcal or almost vertical.

Barry

Specs? (Including price :angel:)

£2270

Whats included

16" f/4.5 Sumerian Canopus

GSO primary with Hi-Lux coating

OO UK secondary

Secondary heater

x4 small primary cooling fans

Total weight just over 30kg

Shipping from Holland

Not included

Finder (my Telrad will go on)

Focuser (my current Moonlite will fit nicely)

Deposit paid but will have to wait until early November. :sad:

£2270

Whats included

16" f/4.5 Sumerian Canopus

GSO primary with Hi-Lux coating

OO UK secondary

Secondary heater

x4 small primary cooling fans

Total weight just over 30kg

Shipping from Holland

Not included

Finder (my Telrad will go on)

Focuser (my current Moonlite will fit nicely)

Deposit paid but will have to wait until early November. :sad:

wow cant wait for your first light report

Archived