Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which moon filter ?

I am planning on buying a baader moon filter for my skywatcher equinox 120ed pro.Not sure which would be more suitable for my scope the ND0.6 or the ND0.9 ? Can anyone advise please. :confused:

Adam

Hi, the ND96 (0.09) gives you 13% transmission and the ND96 (0.6) gives you 25% transmission, in my opinion the ND96 (0.09) is best, though as Steve says you can get a Variable Polarising Filter as well, transmission usually between 1-40%. They can be a bit of a faff sometimes and I tend to prefer the fixed density Moon filters, it's quicker. Sky's The Limit do the fixed density filters at a good price here: http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20filters.html

I use an ED120 and larger scopes to view the moon regularly and have never found the need for a moon filter of any sort. I find my eye adjusts quite quickly and I prefer not to put any additional glass (including sun glasses !) in the light path of my scopes if at all possible. I can't see the point in investing in top optics then sticking something of unknown optical quality in there !

Put the money towards a more useful accessory is my advice.

Never had any problems observing the moon without a filter, this with scopes ranging from 2" - 16" it just isn't needed IMO.

Some filters will actually degrade the view making contrast worse. As John said why put extra glass in there of unknown quality.

If it is any help and you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, i have a Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter (SWLPF) and i have found that not only does it do a very good job of killing the horrid orange glow of LP, but it actually makes a pretty good moon filter also. It certainly cuts down on the glare from a full moon without adding much (if any) false colour.

Could be something worth thinking about if you really want a Moon filter and dont yet have a LPF.

FLO sell the SWLPF for about £30

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/skywatcher-light-pollution-filter.html

+ 1 for John's, Paul's and Umdog's advice.

I was fortunate to have an 0.09 Baader 'schmoon' filter supplied with my Tal 100rs and to date, it hasn't been used that much. As already suggested, viewing a full moon is generally the worst time to view the moon.

Archived