Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader SteelDrive in Stock 1

FLO

The long awaited Baader SteelDrives have arrived :)

The SteelDrive is Baader's own high precision temperature compensated drive system for remote operation of all Baader SteelTrack focusers. It can be controlled via a Baader LVI SmartGuider 2, Hitec Astro FocusMaster Digital focus controller or the supplied handset.

baader-steeldrive-large.jpg

This is great news, but my wallet has run away and is currently shaking behind the settee :-D

FLO, I have sent you an email but I might as well ask the same question here so everyone gets the benefit.

Can these be controlled from a laptop? And is there specific software needed?

I know it may be a stupid question but I've learnt not to 'assume' anything in this game :-)

Found this on a German forum.

" The new Baader Steel Drive Motorfokussierer you can now upgrade all Baader steel track or other focusers. Installation is very simple and takes only a few steps. Manual focusing is still possible. Since the temperature during an observing night almost never remains constant, the Baader Steel Drive has a temperature sensor with 0.01 ° C accuracy and a display accuracy of 0.1 ° C. The focusing amounts to 2.3 microns - an absolute positioning. Baader Steel Drive has a large torque at low energy consumption. He can move 3 kg load. . Power supply via USB or 3 AA batteries , the software also supports other focusers. Baader Steel Drive is available in two versions, one WITH and WITHOUT manual control available. Delivery: - stepping motor with electronic control in aluminum housing - Drive belt, fits the fine adjustment of the Baader steel track - temperature sensor with 1m cable - USB cable (2m) for PC control and an optional power supply via USB - 4 screws - with or without manual control - ASCOM driver and SteelGo software."

John

I will be looking at getting one of these in the new year, could you confirm how easy they are to switch between scopes, I see the newt focuser has small dovetail on the underside which I assume this fits to.

I have a steeltrack to install on my Newt (just waiting on an adapter as I dont want to be drilling holes etc), but im considering my options with my Meade, the focuser is a disgrace!!! if I can put a steel track on it and transfer the motor between the two ill be very happy.

Couldn't find the English manual on-line but here's the Baader Steeldrive manual in German

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s35/download/steeldrive-Manual-DE-V11-11.pdf

And a quick machine translation into English to go with it. The translation isn't perfect and the text needs formatting but at least you can now read the manual. :D

John

SteelDrive Manual - Notepad.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived