Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fraud alert

Nevy

When I buy something from fleabay or using paypal, I use my camera to film the whole unpacking process, so I have evidence if anything goes wrong.

When I sell something, I always video the packing process including a footage showing the condition of the goods, how it goes into the packet and the final sealing. I also weight the package on a digital scale. When I post it in a post office, always keep the receipt with the package weight and I only post using methods with delivery confirmation.

Fortunately I haven't had to use any of these records to defend myself against a fraudster yet.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I buy something from fleabay or using paypal, I use my camera to film the whole unpacking process, so I have evidence if anything goes wrong.

When I sell something, I always video the packing process including a footage showing the condition of the goods, how it goes into the packet and the final sealing. I also weight the package on a digital scale. When I post it in a post office, always keep the receipt with the package weight and I only post using methods with delivery confirmation.

Fortunately I haven't had to use any of these records to defend myself against a fraudster yet.

Would be interesting to see if Paypal would consider what you do as evidence, hopefully you will never have to rely on it.

I have just realised that an ad i have recently placed on AB&S will look very suspicious.

Brand new boxed item, still in the poly bags, so I used stock photos rather than unwrap.

Then I quoted text from online sales literature. It sounded better than my words.

Then when the enquiries come in, I will have different email addresses because of ISP relay restrictions and my anti-spam precautions.

So even the honest person can look dodgy.

Just have rely on my 'time served' and posts here and on AB&S.

Am I honest? Anyone ever bought from me?

Spotting them can be difficult.

David (if that is who I might be).

Would be interesting to see if Paypal would consider what you do as evidence, hopefully you will never have to rely on it.

I don't know, but I hope so. Ebay and Paypal are bias towards the buyer, but if I have some evidences to back up my argument, then it should be better than just my word against the buyer's.

I was stung recently for £50 I'm normally very wary and do full checks but I'd missed out on a few items so thought I had to act fast to get this item. Alarm bells rang when he refused to use payal even though I offered to add4% for fees. But he gave me bank details so I stupidly sent the money. Of course nothing ever arrived and all emails were ignored from the second the money was sent. I know where he banked and the actual branch so I wrote to the bank in the faint hope they might actually challenge the guy or check his account because this person it turns out has haunted abs for ages. Sadly there is no one interested in stopping these people and they get away very easily with your money once they have scammed you with slick tricks they certainly know the system and how to hide behind it. It amazes me that no one can touch them and they can destroy trust and goodwill in the whole Astro community and others of course but I think targeting out community as been specially selected because of the high number of medium value transactions

Yes you cannot be too careful better off with a face to face if possible,I got stung on a well known auction site for £90 and didn`t see it coming gave the guy every opportunity to come up with the goods but never did liuckily i was covered by the protection policy and got most of my money back.Once bitten twice shy!!

I've noticed something slightly odd on ABS - if it's someone from here no offence intended. But an ad for a nagler type 2 9mm the same is also selling an ethos. To my knowledge, there was no 9mm T2 ? Could be of course just a slip but ABS does appear to be an increasing target and must be a nightmare for the admin.

andrew

I have recently got an email from some one in Spain replying to an add i had a few months ago ,i was looking two eyepieces and this person had both.

I had already got the eyepieces so didnt have any dealings with them,it may have been genuine but i was surprised because of the time after i had the add.

Paul

A suggestion.

On ABS if you think something isn't right, tell Paul the webmaster. Things get done.

I notified someone who didn't look right a year or two back.

Basically he wanted eyepieces for a megabucks Meade scope.

But when he didn't know his plossls from his huygens or even the FL of his scope the alarm rang with me.

A note to Paul and the guy was immediately banned for not using his real name.

It is an arms race. The scammers learn new tricks as fast as we learn to spot them.

I look for time on ABS, number of posts, and SGL membership, etc.

It would take a lot to persuade me to part with money to a new name on ABS.

That way I should only get caught by identity theft, or I might buy a Trashco for £500 'cos I'm daft.

I recently got an email from the same person as in the OP when I put a wanted ad for a QHY5 on Astro Buy Sell. The email just didn't feel right so I politely said no thanks. I'm very glad I did now I have read this! Thanks for the information.

I recently got an email from the same person as in the OP when I put a wanted ad for a QHY5 on Astro Buy Sell. The email just didn't feel right so I politely said no thanks. I'm very glad I did now I have read this! Thanks for the information.

What name did he give?

As I've put an add in ab&sell warning people , if it's a different name I'll put it on the add

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived