Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginners stargazing campsite advice

Hi all, I'm new to the site and new to astronomy.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any campsites that are good for stargazing on the south coast (UK :smiley: )? Specifically Dorset, Hampshire area.

Myself and a couple of friends are looking to go camping towards the end of August and would like somewhere with dark skies where we can start getting to grips with the basics of finding our way around the night sky (weather permitting!) I know there are some reasonable places in Devon and Cornwall, but it's a little further than we were looking to go for three/four nights. I've got a copy of Philips Dark Skies map, so could pick a 'site in a zone; but recommendation is always good!

Eventually I intend on buying a telescope... but that's a whole other topic!

Thanks in advance.

The obvious one is at Sixpenny Handley, never been there but it is where SGL tend to hold their star party's.

It is North of Poole and mid way between Salisbury and Blandford Forum on the A354.

I would guess the skies are good, as otherwise why would SGL pick it.

Would expect someone who has been there can advise you of the facilities available.

The obvious one is at Sixpenny Handley, never been there but it is where SGL tend to hold their star party's.

It is North of Poole and mid way between Salisbury and Blandford Forum on the A354.

I would guess the skies are good, as otherwise why would SGL pick it.

Would expect someone who has been there can advise you of the facilities available.

That's not entirely correct. SGL's official site is Lucksall in Herfordshire, although SGL members have used the Sixpenny Handley site in Salisbury. :smiley:

I think the original poster asked for campsites on the coast. Facilities are good at Sixpenny Handley I went there last October, but there is a light in the middle of the field which because we were an Astro group was covered up/switched off. Not sure how bright it would be at other times.

Not tried out any in the Dorset or Hampshire area but according to my dark sky map the area between just North of Dorchester up to Sherbourne in NS direction and WE Axminster to just west of Blandford Forum is marked as dark on my map. Also the New Forest.

It can be a problem sharing a campsite with non astronomers though as they don't understand about lights.

Best plan is to check out the dark skies, check out the facilities and then ring up and speak to the campsites owners and explain your needs and see how they respond.

Carole

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Last night we sat down with the dark skies map, advice, and google and went hunting for small campsites half way along the coast between Weymouth and Bridport. Keeping in mind what's been mentioned on here, we've shorlisted a few sites that appear to have some decent walks to surrounding countryside should the site itself prove too bright. Going to do some ringing around later this week.

Very much agree with what Carole says. Campfires will destroy your night vision and won't help your optics. People will be flashing bright white LEDs everywhere. They'll come and interrupt you and ask what you're doing, etc, etc. It's a disaster. You want to make sure there's a quiet location nearby to set up. All this stuff should become less of an issue when it's colder.

Although not on the coast why not try Ocknell / Stoneyscross in the New Forest.

The site is right next to an old grassed over WWII airfield.

You could set up your tent/caravan and simply walk a few yards away from the site onto the very open and flat grass area (there are bushes etc to shield you from people and lights).

Although not on the coast why not try Ocknell / Stoneyscross in the New Forest.

The site is right next to an old grassed over WWII airfield.

You could set up your tent/caravan and simply walk a few yards away from the site onto the very open and flat grass area (there are bushes etc to shield you from people and lights).

Our dark sky spot is at turf hill, near stoney cross. Good horizons and about as dark as it gets around here.

Archived