NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shameless self plug - article in Astronomy Now

robbieince

Hi

In an act of shameless self congratulation I thought I'd let you guys know that i have been lucky enough to get an article I have written accepted and published in the august 2012 issue of Astronomy Now. Its about the Kielder Deep Field, a project i did at the spring 2012 Kielder star party, where I imaged the Hubble Deep Field North with my Orion Optics AG8 to see how deep (and distant) I could record.

Let me know what you think

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the article this morning on the train to work! Good stuff and very impressive getting down to mag 22.8!!

I just wish they'd printed the pictures on the same page for easier comparison of your image (zoomed in) and the hubble image.

Let's hope the forecasts are correct and we'll have a bit of clear skies (at least in the south east) from Sunday onwards....

Nothing wrong with blowing ones own trumpet Rob.

Amateur Astronomy needs successes like yours, to get the message out there, that amateurs

have an important role in all the sciences that make up Astronomy, and contribute enormously to

to it.

Well done, and feel free to shout your successes around SGL's corridoors as much as you like :icon_salut: .

Ron.

Thanks everyone - all comments very much appreciated. I think the subscribers get it first - it hit my doormat on Wednesday and I think its on general sale this weekend.

CW - wellies are a must for astronomy at Kielder, but it is clear enough to make it worth it....

Andy6SE - I agree, it would have made more sense to have the HDF and the KDF on the same page, also I hoped the table of magnitudes etc would have been next to the actual final image - but no matter.

m.tweedy - dont you know it.... hopefully get the chance to talk about it with some certain important Scottish people in a fortnight.... (pm me if you don't know what that means...) ;o)

Shibby - Not sure about the HUDF - isn't that in the southern skies? I think the next step is to replicate it from home, both unfiltered and with light pollution filters and see what difference it actually makes being at a dark sky site......

Thanks again to you all.

I'm looking forward to reading your article Robbie, I thought it was a brilliant idea when I saw your thread on here a while back. I'm sure It's already been suggested at some point but it would make a great talk at a star party or two..... Kielder or Galloway would be a good start! :D

Also good luck with the Scottish thing Robbie, it would be amazing if you got it! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Many thanks Steve - Richard Darn has already booked me to talk about this at the Autumn 2012 Kielder star party and I guess I will be open to any other requests.

Brilliant, well I'll definitely be there on the Saturday with a few other CSOG'ers I'd imagine. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I am *very* impressed by the number of distant objects you captured! I suspect that your set up and time cost somewhat less than Hubble! Have you done a cost per photon comparison?

Archived