NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two XWs on the way

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very excited as two Pentax XWs will be on their way here shortly. A 7 and 10mm (the latter to replace the Radian 10). Hopefully they will arrive before I leave on vacation. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang::blob10: :blob10: :blob10:

Excitable? Me?

I wondered what cause the storm last night... :p

Seriously though, the XW's look like a mighty fine eyepiece with great eye relief. Is it the eye relief or price that made you choose the 7mm and 10mm over the 7mm and 11mm Naglers?

Absolutely! I have cylindrical astigmatism, so need to keep the glasses on. I never got on with short Plossls and Orthos, and all my Nagler's bar the 31T5 are T4s, for added eye relief. The Radian and Pentax XF also have nice long eye relief.

Makes absolute sense! I wear glasses too, but not for observing, but still find more eye relief a comfort. I find around 12mm is the "sweet spot" so my eyelashes don't get in the way.... the Ethos 10mm does provide 15mm eye relief :).

Hope you enjoy them, I have used both a good few times I like them a lot but for the cost I think TV are beter value. At this level they are all great, it's just personal taste.

Alan

I got them secondhand, so the cost was quite reasonable. Anyway, the Delos and XWs differ by 30 or 40 euro over here, not much of a difference. I was planning to get one in Japan, where they are much cheaper, but the price on these was so good I could not resist. I gather they are every bit as sharp as my XF8.5, so I should enjoy them. I might get the 5mm in Japan, for use in my F/6 frac

Congratulations Michael :smiley:

I've used the 10mm XW and found it superb and own a 5mm at the moment which is also excellent. No reason to expect anything less from the 7mm either so you will be delighted with them I'm sure.

Steve from FLO was advocating XW's way back to be fair to him - I now understand why !

An eyepiece set comprising Nagler's for low / medium powers and XW's at the top end would be a "lifetime" set I reckon :smiley:

Congratulations Michael :smiley:

I've used the 10mm XW and found it superb and own a 5mm at the moment which is also excellent. No reason to expect anything less from the 7mm either so you will be delighted with them I'm sure.

Steve from FLO was advocating XW's way back to be fair to him - I now understand why !

An eyepiece set comprising Nagler's for low / medium powers and XW's at the top end would be a "lifetime" set I reckon :smiley:

That's the plan (with the odd XF thrown in). Maybe a Delos 6mm might serve for nights of really good seeing. I like closely spaced focal lengths in the planetary range, to optimize for seeing conditions.

I already sold the Radian 8 when I got my XF 8.5. Haven't regretted that at all.

Is the XF that good or didn't you get on with the Radian? I found the Radian no slouch even comparing it to more expensive TV's just wanted a little more FoV and didn't really like the pull up eye cup.

Congrats Michael, both are absolutely superb ep,s. I will be interested in your thoughts on how they compare with the XF. I have only had one outing with the XF but have seen enough to call it my "mini XW"

The XL was the predecessor to the XW. It has a 65 degree FoV and the focal lengths are a little differently spaced but they are quite highly regarded. The difference between them and the XW's is rather like the earlier and later Nagler designs I believe.

The XL was the predecessor to the XW. It has a 65 degree FoV and the focal lengths are a little differently spaced but they are quite highly regarded. The difference between them and the XW's is rather like the earlier and later Nagler designs I believe.

thanks john. there is one for sale on abs just havnt heard of the xl and it looks identical to the xw

I am very excited as two Pentax XWs will be on their way here shortly. A 7 and 10mm (the latter to replace the Radian 10). Hopefully they will arrive before I leave on vacation. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang::blob10: :blob10: :blob10:

Excitable? Me?

Congratulation on your two new eyepieces, I would tell you what the 7mm is like but this weather we are having here it is way to cloudy at the moment, it's been like this for weeks and weeks and weeks LOL

The 10.5mm XL was considered one of the better performing eyepieces in the XL line-up. A nice eyepiece at that price for sure!

Congrats on the XW's, very nice FL's you've invested in I'm sure you'll be pleased with the performance and ease of use.

Archived