NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW200p Finder Scope

Morning all,

Im looking for tips on the finder scope on the 200P. For those who dont have it, it 'locks' in position by 2 screws you tighten to position it. However, on mine i cannot get the object centred into the viewfinder, the main scope with both screws tightened, and stop the finder from wobbling in the bracket a bit, so that when i move the scope, it moves and is out of line again.

Is this just my scope that this happens, or am i missing something obvious and doing it wrong, or is it worth replacing with a better quality one.

Any info would be good.

Not sure what you are doing here, you are not locking down the alignment screws are you? They are not supposed to be completely locked down, they should remain 'thumb' loose so that they can be adjusted by slight tweeks to get the alignment spot on. The only other thing I can think of is that the screws to the finder shoe are not tight, these should be thumb tight so that the finder does not move in the shoe.

Morning all,

Im looking for tips on the finder scope on the 200P. For those who dont have it, it 'locks' in position by 2 screws you tighten to position it. However, on mine i cannot get the object centred into the viewfinder, the main scope with both screws tightened, and stop the finder from wobbling in the bracket a bit, so that when i move the scope, it moves and is out of line again.

Is this just my scope that this happens, or am i missing something obvious and doing it wrong, or is it worth replacing with a better quality one.

Any info would be good.

Hi,

I had trouble with that finder as well..

You might find this thread useful:

Clear Skies

I will have to have a look when i get home. I dont remember fitting a ring too it so it may be that. But then again, i do not remember seeing a ring when i unpacked it and i went through everything.

The ring is usually wrapped around the base of the holder.

You should find that there's a groove in the body of the finder and an O-ring that sits in the groove. The O-ring holds the body of the finder fixed at the front of the mount whilst the back of the finder can be moved by the adjustment screws. The back of the finder body will still move against the sprung adjuster if you push it sideways, but otherwise it should stay put.

James

The ring is usually wrapped around the base of the holder.

The saying 'Hidden in plain sight' springs to mind :) This is why my dad would tell me to read the instruction manual :D

I agree with Tinker1947, get a Telrad. I use mine in conjunction with the SW200 Finderscope

I'll definately look into one of these as they seem to be highly regarded? How do they work exactly?

Morning all,

Any info would be good.

Once I worked out how to adjust the two screws to align the cross hairs I still found that the scope was out a bit with one of the screws fully screwed in & needed more adjustment. I solved the problem by loosening the shoe on the OTA & slightly twisting it. Re-tightened those screws & problem solved. Now the finder scope can be easily tweaked each time I set up.

Hope this helps.

The saying 'Hidden in plain sight' springs to mind :) This is why my dad would tell me to read the instruction manual :D

I'll definately look into one of these as they seem to be highly regarded? How do they work exactly?

It's like a Heads up display that projects 3 rings. It doesn't reverse or invert the image. It works in conjunction with printed Skymaps to enable you to Star-hop more easily.

These are the Sky Maps I use, I'm sure i'd find many more objects if it wasn't for my high LP. -

http://www.atmob.org/library/member/skymaps_jsmall.html

Good telrad guide -

http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipment/accessories/telrad/telrad.html

Perry.

+ 1 for probably lack of the o ring, mine stays put always. Saying that I don't use the straight through finder much at all. I rely more on my Rigel Quikfinder, still need to look along the tube but much easier with the Telrad or Rigel. If your scope never came with an o ring, you may be able to acquire one through your supplier.

Archived