NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Missing Finder O-Ring

I've just found out why my SW 9x50 straight through finder is wobbly. I didn't install the O-ring. I only just discovered via google but I have no idea where it is. Probably in the scope box in the loft which isn't too accessible at the minute.

Can anyone who has one please post a photo of said o- ring and ideally a size (although I'm guessing 50mm diameter) but I don't know how thick it is. That way I can look at sourcing (or bodging) a suitable replacement.

I'm also guessing I'm not alone in my muppetry in missing the O-Ring in the excitement of unboxing my new OTA when it arrived, so I thought I would share in case others have wobbly finders too ;-)

I've just found out why my SW 9x50 straight through finder is wobbly. I didn't install the O-ring. I only just discovered via google but I have no idea where it is. Probably in the scope box in the loft which isn't too accessible at the minute.

Can anyone who has one please post a photo of said o- ring and ideally a size (although I'm guessing 50mm diameter) but I don't know how thick it is. That way I can look at sourcing (or bodging) a suitable replacement.

I'm also guessing I'm not alone in my muppetry in missing the O-Ring in the excitement of unboxing my new OTA when it arrived, so I thought I would share in case others have wobbly finders too ;-)

You might not have just missed it. The SW 9x50 finder I received with my Quattro was missing the O-ring altogether. I only realised because I've had Skywatcher scopes with 9x50 finders before, otherwise I may have thought the wobbliness was normal! A quick email to FLO soon sorted that out though. Still, it's probably worth checking you did actually receive one, and get on to your supplier if you didn't.

Could you let me know if they fit, and the details to order as I need one as well.
details as above, search the bay for that and you'll get what I did.

I will post back when they arrive. I may even have some spares up for grabs ;-)

Let's see if they are the right ones first though. I suspect at least a week before I get 'em in hand.

Yep all of the above will work , but the best one I have found is sticky back 1/2 inch wide Velcro tape , it lasts for ever not like the rubber nitrile o/rings as they are not immersed in oil they degrade fast 12 months or less , and need replacing , again and again and .... thats a pain .

Yep good old Valcro , the hookie one of the 2 parts that stick together , its firmer than the matting 1/2 .

Cheep , and I am sure you wont be dissapointed .

Brian.

Yep all of the above will work , but the best one I have found is sticky back 1/2 inch wide Velcro tape , it lasts for ever not like the rubber nitrile o/rings as they are not immersed in oil they degrade fast 12 months or less , and need replacing , again and again and .... thats a pain .

Yep good old Valcro , the hookie one of the 2 parts that stick together , its firmer than the matting 1/2 .

Cheep , and I am sure you wont be dissapointed .

Brian.

Any chance of a photo so we can see where exactly you line up the edge of the Velcro. Is it centred on the groove or just over it, and if just over it, on which side. A photo would really help here ;-D

Thanks.

Love to give a photo but being a newby here I dont no how to post a photo into a thread , sorry . I will learn .

The Velcro tape we get here in Australia will be similar to whats avaliable to you guys . Its 12mm or 1/2 an inch wide both 1/2's and comes in a roll of 2 metres thats about $15 au .

Forget the groove , as all it is now is a mark to allow you to stick the valcro around the finder scope in a square manner , put the velcro on this groove with the 12mm facing the eyepiece end , that way the velcro will be hidden under the holder's body . the body is slightly tapered smaller towards the eyepiece , so as you slide the finder , with velcro attached to the finder scope will tighten up nicely .

If its still a bit loose , just put another 1/2 wrap over the velcro and try again . It will stick to its self if you use the " Hook " part of the velcro . It will still work if you use the fuzzy 1/2 , but I;ve found it does not stick to its self as well , but hey for this application its really a one time only job . ( not like perishing O / rings )

Hope this helps .

Brian.

So my nitrile 46mm by 1.5mm o-rings arrived and fit for the finder diameter perfectly, but there is still a bit too much wobble. Using 2 of them instead of 1 helps, but in order to conclude the experiment, and at great personal expense (£2.30 including shipping) I've ordered a bag of 10 nitrile 46mm x 2mm o-rings and will report back on their fit.

....................but in order to conclude the experiment, and at great personal expense (£2.30 including shipping) I've ordered a bag of 10 nitrile 46mm x 2mm o-rings and will report back on their fit.

Ooof. Your accountant will be spitting bullets.

;)

Andy.

Ok the jury is in. If you've lost your o-ring for your SW 9x50 finder then you need.

46mm diameter by 2mm thickness nitrile rubber o-ring. Available on the bag for £2.30 for a pack of 10 delivered.

Since I like karma and I have spares now, but I don't really want to spend a fortune on stamps, how about a take one and pass it on format sharing format? I'll keep 3 ( I did pay for them) and I'll post out the other 7 to the first person to PM me with their UK address. They get to take what they need, then post on here asking or other people and pass them on to, and post them onto the next person, and so on until they run out.

If a few people pm me before I send them out, I'll pass the rings to the first one an include a list of the others to pass it one to next.

How about that for some postal o-ring karma?

Who wants an o-ring then?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived