NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Would it be worth my while getting this light pollution filter?

just wondering if anyone has tried these light pollution filters? not sure it would do me much justice as my big street lamp is not orange, it is more white? im really wanting to spot my 1st nebula also and would this help much? just ordered my 1st book turn left at orion so getting prepared to hunt these messier's down! mwahahaha :D

http://www.firstligh...ion-filter.html

i just want to know if they will work with a white light lamp post? but i suppose it would not hurt to try for the price.....mhhhh im terrible ive all ready spent near on £200 this morning, days off work are dangerous!!! :(

Based on your description of street lights is sounds like they have switched the more modern high pressure lamps which emit white light and hence render standard light polution filters virtually useless. The older low pressure mecury and sodium lights emit at specific wavelengths that can be blocked. However all is not lost. If your goal is purely to enhance emission nebula, you should look at UHC filters. These filters allow specific wavelengths such as hydogen alpha and beta and oxygen III to pass and block all others. These are wavelengths that emission nebula radiate much of their light in. The effect is darken the sky background considerably and enhance the constrast of the nebula. At the end of the day, observation of DSOs is all about contrast.

As a final point though, these filters will do nothing for galaxies or globular clusters which radiate across the entire visible spectrum.

aww thanks mate good i read your post before wasting more money lol :(

i will look for a uhc filter now, do FLO's sell them?

edit, found one, so this would suit me better for my white light lamp post then buddy :)

http://www.firstligh...c-s-filter.html

No problem. That is what SGL is here for. Just remember, only good for emission nebula. Unfortunately for every other DSO, travelling to places with darker skies is pretty much the only cure.

best thing to do is to try and shield the direct glare of any local lights if you can. I made one http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/113007-observing-screen/ and it really helps. I don't use LP filters for LP but have a Baader Neodymium filter for moon/jupiter/Mars use and UHC/Oiii for nebs etc. don't rush too much into buying many things as they all do something but the effects can be quite subtle and as a new observer you might not appreciate them as much as when you've some experience under your belt. rushing in and buying a load of accessories as a new astronomer can lead to disappointment and an empty wallet.

visually, you'll rarely see DSOs like photos.

thanks dirk, ive still not gotten hold of a power source to take my scope out to a location, i will do soon as i am right next to the new forest which is the darkest place in the uk :) i need to make the most of this as im only about half hour drive away :) i have heard that AA batteries as a power source will not be much good as it goes out of alignment or something, might try and get a motorbike battery or something :( would like to get out there for the metor shower in august :)

hey moon mate :D thanks i know i am terrible at buying quickly and when the mrs finds out,,,,ouch :( i think i might just try see if i can spot my first Messier with just my skywather ep's then mate, (10mm, 25mm Wide view & x2 barlow) i just see all these awsome bits and bobs and just want lol :( thank you kindly for your honest opinion mate :D ive nealy bought about 5 different ep's/filters this mornig lol :( which im glad i have not yet

EDIT< AMAZING MOON!!! just saw your link to the observing screen!!! I AM GOING TO DO THIS!!! got an old washing line too :D thank a lot!

don't get me wrong, we all fall for the equipment addiction but you are far better doing some observing and filling gaps in what you actually need and can use than what you think you'll need and then realise that actually what you have bought does not suit your observing preferences.

The best accessory for observing nebulae is a tank full of gas to get you right out into the sticks.

As has been said filters work, but they aren't a magic wand. I'm not convinced about LP filters myself, but the narrow band and line nebula filters deffinitily work, but even they have their most dramatic effect from a dark site.

Filters won't work on reflection nebulae (unless they're reflecting emission line stars) either.

The best accessory for observing nebulae is a tank full of gas to get you right out into the sticks.

As has been said filters work, but they aren't a magic wand. I'm not convinced about LP filters myself, but the narrow band and line nebula filters deffinitily work, but even they have their most dramatic effect from a dark site.

Filters won't work on reflection nebulae (unless they're reflecting emission line stars) either.

thanks mate, do you know if the SW130p synscan AZGOTO can be manually (hand) operated as in moving it left/right, up/down by hand so i would not need the use of power to power the mount? as thats all thats stopping me really is finding a power source for it, if i did not need a power source that would be much better :D

Can you not power it from a power pack? Not sure pushing these scopes is a possibility.

A power pack would be a better investment than any filter, as dark skies totally rule when observing faint objects.

The darker your sky. The more you will see, its as simple as that.

Assuming you have a car to get to the New Forest I suspect that one of these would be useful:

http://www.amazon.co...2440445&sr=1-48

Assumes that the scope pulls 800mA or less.

wow thats a bit cheaper then my link!!!! LOL :D yes i have a car, not sure what my mount/scope draws i will have to check if so that will be getting ordered!!!!! :D

edit, how do i check? would it be on the plug?

I have the same scope as you. It draws an amp I believe. It should have come with an AA battery holder which needs 8 batteries to give 12v. Depending on the batteries used, this would probably last about an hour.

However, I purchased a 7 ampere sealed lead acid battery, and connected an appropriate lead. This is small, portable and gives me enough power for an evenings viewing.

There are some links in this post which takes you to parts similar to what I used.

Best,

Ian

Archived