Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap small scope for the weekend ?

knobby

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I organised a more portable grab'n'go setup, using my future guide scope until I get my hands on an autoguider.

I've got an IKI 70mm f6 ED scope, now sitting on a Vixen Porta Mini mount. I'm using my hyperion zoom eyepiece with the hyperion 2.25x barlow and a 1.25" diagonal. It's compact enough as standard ( I know that another SGL member has cut down the legs of his porta mini to allow it to become cabin baggage ) and it would all fit into quite a small space. I have it permanently set up in the bedroom as it takes up so little space.

I was using this a few mornings ago when I got out of work at 04.30 am, with the sky a light blue in colour but with Venus and Jupiter still visible. It was easy to see the belts and the moons, and I was starting to see a little bit of detail in the belts right at the resolution limit of the scope. This was at 110x-ish with an effective focal length of the eyepiece of about 4mm. You'll often see more than you'd expect with the right equipment at the right time.

Sounds interesting ... it's really just to show anyone interested Jupiter, the wife's told a load of people that we'll bring our scope ... they all said yeah we'll love that. I said ' its a 10" 4' long dob love ... where are we going to put the kids and he tent ..

Etc. :huh:

Well theres your answer, buy a roof box for your car and take everything :grin:

Looking at a skymax 90 mak, possibly

Thw SkyMax 102mm is pretty good.

But if space is a problem; we have a £25 spotting scope from Aldi with which you can see the rings of Saturn - when mounted on a camera tripod.

I organised a more portable grab'n'go setup, using my future guide scope until I get my hands on an autoguider.

I've got an IKI 70mm f6 ED scope, now sitting on a Vixen Porta Mini mount. I'm using my hyperion zoom eyepiece with the hyperion 2.25x barlow and a 1.25" diagonal. It's compact enough as standard ( I know that another SGL member has cut down the legs of his porta mini to allow it to become cabin baggage ) and it would all fit into quite a small space. I have it permanently set up in the bedroom as it takes up so little space.

I was using this a few mornings ago when I got out of work at 04.30 am, with the sky a light blue in colour but with Venus and Jupiter still visible. It was easy to see the belts and the moons, and I was starting to see a little bit of detail in the belts right at the resolution limit of the scope. This was at 110x-ish with an effective focal length of the eyepiece of about 4mm. You'll often see more than you'd expect with the right equipment at the right time.

That sounds awesome ... but expensive!

Thw SkyMax 102mm is pretty good.

But if space is a problem; we have a £25 spotting scope from Aldi with which you can see the rings of Saturn - when mounted on a camera tripod.

I've read bad reviews about those. Seems to be you got a good one!

I had an etx 90 mak years ago and it certainly packed a punch for its tiny dimensions. Another thing I liked about it was its correct image orientation so it was also very good for daytime use:)

I think some kind of small Mak would be just the job?

Had a quick play last night (indoors) Blimey what a faff setting up goto, made me love my Dob even more! All seems to work though, just need to find out the size of the 2 tripod mount screws now to knock up an adaptor

• 4 weeks later...

Settled for a Celestron 4se ... bit more aperture and a better mount. Just need to get the hang of this goto alignment mallarky :D

I have the 8SE and its a great scope. The 4SE actually is a "travel scope" compared.

Good choice.

Did you pay full price or second hand?.

The GoTo is simple to setup.

Hi Paul

doing a bit of buying and selling as the ETX just was too much of a culture shock from my 250px !

Had emmense fun and games with the align methods so far, but finally managed it with the 'auto 2 star' last night.

Goint to beg / steal /borrow / DIY a 232 cable to up the firmware as its on 4.13 / 5.14.

Nice crisp image , pretty impressed and as it will be mainly for the Moon / Jupiter and will track hopefully ! it will be ideal for the Soul weekend :cool:

Archived