NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrads? Are they all that?

I think you are trying to fix something that is not broken. The sticky pads do their job perfectly, mine has been on for 2 years and shows no signs of becoming less sticky.

Cheers,

Chris

So the sticky pads don't become a permanent fixture on the scope?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen and used a lot of Telrads at our observing group. They're really, really nice for finding - a no fuss method of pointing a scope.

However there's no way I'd get one myself. At home there just aren't enough stars due to the light pollution. I'd need something that at least grabs more light, like a 9x50 finder although I'm sold on why people like using Telrads to find objects in the sky.

What would be pretty amazing would be an electronic Telrad that either amplifies and displays the image or supports a camera attachment :)

Blimey - I feel all inadequate now after reading this "Telrad love in" cos I don't have one

Reason being same as Mike's ie

At home there just aren't enough stars due to the light pollution

Or I am mistaken do they work in moderatr LP (I can see about 4 stars in the square of pegasus)

However there's no way I'd get one myself. At home there just aren't enough stars due to the light pollution. I'd need something that at least grabs more light, like a 9x50 finder although I'm sold on why people like using Telrads to find objects in the sky.

I quite like using the telrad at home under my light polluted skys, usually there are only the brighter key pointer stars to navigate from, and I find that my senses sharpen somewhat visually, trying to pick out dimmer magnitude stars for positioning and locating the handful of objects that are visible or worth looking for under light pollution.

I don't think I can generally see more stars in the square of Pegasus than four but would not be without my Telrad for initial placement and my 9x50mm optical for star hopping. for brighter or very familiar things I just use the Telrad but even things like M13 require use of both on average.

Same here. My sky is generally mag 4.25. I have my Rigel and a 9x50 RACI finder mounted side by side on the Dob. Even with relatively few bright stars visible to the naked eye, using the Rigel to be sure I am starting star hopping from the right origin star just makes it so much easier.

agreed Rik - sometimes I have to start from quite a distance from the object if in an area of sparse or dim stars. but with e.g. bright planets, naked eye (in terms of brightness) doubles and easy things like the Ring Neb, I can just use the Telrad and get them in the field of view even with a narrow AFOV eyepiece at 150-200x.

Limited number of stars to navigate by might require visually calculating the spacing to reach the target, by how many telrad circles between it and the nearest visible naked eye guide star. This might roughly get me into the right location, then I refer to my low power wide field eyepiece as a finder, however as mentioned I only really search out brighter objects under light pollution, although of course many such as M1 are improved with averted vision.

I don't think I can generally see more stars in the square of Pegasus than four but would not be without my Telrad for initial placement and my 9x50mm optical for star hopping. for brighter or very familiar things I just use the Telrad but even things like M13 require use of both on average.

Ok I'm succombing but it seems I'm not the only one - There out of stock at FLO.

Seem to be a tenner more expensive elsewhere so I'll wait until there back in. Probably cloudy until Autumn anyway

I...would not be without my Telrad for initial placement and my 9x50mm optical for star hopping.

Ay, Moonshane has summed up my own opinion and use. In the city, for me at least, the Pocket Sky Atlas, a Telrad and a 9x50mm correct-image finder are all absolutely necessary to avoid frustration and dissapointment.

Just taken delivery of a Telrad, it's been on back order since mid April. I guess that tells a story in itself. The manufacturers cann't make them quick enough.

They are quite large in the flesh, but should be OK on my 8inch SCT.

Archived