Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WOW! amazing Pic!

Nillchill

Wonder if that's a photo, if so, where from? A NASA probe or has anyone else got one there recently?

Assuming it is a photo, when could it have been taken? In a quick play with a simulator, around August 2010 seems like a good time.

That's an amazing image. Although I'm surprise the Moon did not show up beside Earth. After all, the moon is 70% the diameter of Mercury but has a much higher albedo. I'd expect it to be a naked eye object on Mars.

Sorry to be doubtful but I think this is a simulation rather than a real photo. If you zoom in, you can see that each of them is against a square or rectangular background suggesting they have been photoshopped onto the image. The point about the moon also suggests it is not real. Any thoughts?

Stu

The square around them is a jpeg compression artefact. As for Earth's moon being visible from Mars, I doubt it would be far enough out to be resolved at this scale. Also there's the possibility it is in front or behind Earth.

I found two other NASA images which show the Earth from Mars.

http://marsrover.nas.../20050531a.html

Opportunity's view. I just see a white speck.

http://www.nasa.gov/...80303earth.html

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's view. They put a bigger scope in that, but still, look how tiny the moon is.

One more thought: in the image in question, bottom left there is some lettering that looks like it could be "NE". Is there any precedent for this appearing in the output from any of the space agencies? Is there precedent for any simulation software displaying in a similar manner?

The square around them is a jpeg compression artefact. As for Earth's moon being visible from Mars, I doubt it would be far enough out to be resolved at this scale. Also there's the possibility it is in front or behind Earth.

When you said your can't resolve the moon, do you mean as in resolving the Earth Moon system into a 'double star'. The second image from Mars Recon. Orbiter shows just how big and bright the moon is (Amazing picture on its own, I wish some days my descendent will observe this on Mars, just like how we observe Mars on Earth). I'd guess it may be 2 mag dimmer than earth itself. Of course the angular separation of Earth and Moon depends on the moon's position is in its orbit, it may just happen that the moon was on the other side of Earth when this photo was taken.

This link appears to show the moon, and at least one Galilean moon resolved from Mars so it looks possible.

http://starryskies.com/The_sky/events/mars/earth_jupiter_100.jpg

This link also shows the original image so it appears genuine.

http://spaceports.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/view-from-mars-earth-jupiter-and-venus.html?m=1

My main surprise was the brightness of the planets viewed from the surface, compared with their apparent dimness when imaged from orbit against a black sky.

Does anyone have a link to a planetarium which allows simulations from Mars rather than the earth?

Intrigued now :D

Stu

amazing photo - thanks for sharing

I'm sure I read on a thread somewhere that the rover can only transmit data and take photos for a limited period of the year as its solar cells take so long to recharge so is effectively put into hibernation for periods when the sun is not visible.

When you said your can't resolve the moon, do you mean as in resolving the Earth Moon system into a 'double star'.

Yup. One question from this thread was, in this proposed situation, would the Earth's moon be visible? I think this looks like quite a wide angle being shown, so without significant "zooming" I would guess the moon wouldn't be separated enough from the Earth to be visible on this scale. Of couse, if you were there with some longer focal length optics then you could, but that's not what the image in question is about.

Archived