Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nagler or Pentax or something else?

Mr Moff

Afternoon guys, I'm thinking of getting a medium power eyepiece or 2 next week but I'm so confused once again selecting eyepieces.

my current kit is in my signature with a gap from 11mm up to 18mm, so I fancy something in the middle there.

My current ones I'm considering are,

Nagler 13mm

Pentax 14mm

The other one I like the look of is the new Skywatcher in the link below

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sky-panorama-eyepieces.html

i've fancied a nagler for a while and I have a feeling if I went for the Pentax that I would be still wondering if I should've gone for the nagler. :rolleyes:

My interests are basically looking at everything so any advice would be appreciated.

Feel free to let me know if there's an important gap I haven't noticed.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Danny

There are several Naglers within this focal length. The 11mm and 13mm type6, the 16mm type5 and the 12mm and 17mm type4.

There is quite a difference between them in use. The type 6 Naglers have 12mm of eye relief and are all 1.25" and lightweight. The type5 16mm is a tiny little eyepiece that packs a huge punch for its size but the eye relief at 10mm some find a little tight, it's also a 1.25" eyepiece. The type4,s are 2" eyepieces with large eye lenses and long eye relief (17mm & 19mm ). They are big and heavy they may require counterweights with your scope.

I would say the type 6 and 5 were sharper but the type4 more immersive. Though both are excellent eyepieces.

For the wow! Factor the type4 are the ones to go for IMO.

Afternoon guys, I'm thinking of getting a medium power eyepiece or 2 next week but I'm so confused once again selecting eyepieces.

my current kit is in my signature with a gap from 11mm up to 18mm, so I fancy something in the middle there.

My current ones I'm considering are,

Nagler 13mm

Pentax 14mm

The other one I like the look of is the new Skywatcher in the link below

http://www.firstligh...-eyepieces.html

i've fancied a nagler for a while and I have a feeling if I went for the Pentax that I would be still wondering if I should've gone for the nagler. :rolleyes:

My interests are basically looking at everything so any advice would be appreciated.

Feel free to let me know if there's an important gap I haven't noticed.

Nagler, Pentax or something else?

There are Nikon and Docter :eek:

http://www.apm-teles...4mm-Okular-2383

http://www.apm-teles...-UWA-125mm-2573

http://www.apm-teles...kular-2769.html :Envy:

It's best to see a doctor before purchase, preferably a psychiatrist. :p. I'll get my umbrella on the way out.

I heard the Pentax 14 (and 20) have some issues with field curvature

I have the Nagler T4 series, and love them. The 22 and 17mm are 2" only, whereas the 12" is a dual-fit type (1.25 and 2"). All are great EPs, very comfortable to use. I used to have a Meade 14 UWA, which was also great, even in an F/4.2 scope, but its eye relief was a bit too short for me (though comfortable to anyone without glasses). It is well worth considering. I am aiming to get a Pentax XW 7 for planetary work, to team up with the Pentax XF 8.5 (a corker, but with 60 deg AFOV). The Delos range are also reported to be oustanding, beating even the Naglers in sharpness, but with "only" 72 deg FOV.

1.25" barrel Nagler will give the same 82deg AFOV. The reason 2" barrel exist is because as eyepiece focal lengths get longer, the field stop diameter can exceed the 1.25" barrel diameter. I think this happen in the high teens for 82 deg eyepiece and mid twenties for 70deg eyepieces.

If you have the £'s for a Nagler then why not get one ?.

They are still the best 82 degree eyepiece around, even if the competition are catching up. I had the 13mm Type 6 and thought it was a lovely eyepiece - excellent performance in a compact and light package.

The explorer scientific do look nice but the only problem is that, if I buy one I guarantee within a few days I'll be thinking," I wonder how the nagler compares" :Envy:

I've gotta scratch that itch while I've got the excuse to fill a gap. :grin:

I have the yearning to try a Nagler too. I'm just a bit short of ££ for it so I'm likely to go for something a little less pricey probably a celestron luminos or similar.

If I had the cash I would plump for the nagler though. Hope you enjoy it :-)

I would not agonize too much. Whether you choose Pentax XW or TV Naglers, you will get a great EP. Pentax XW have the edge in terms of sharpness I am told, Naglers have the larger FOV. Which is more important depends partly on the target. For planets FOV is not that important, and I am quite happy with the 60 deg FOV of the Pentax XF 8.5 (the 72 of the XW is nicer, of course). For DSOs FOV may be more important. I have hear the transmission of Pentax XWs is higher, which is important to tease out the fainter DSOs. My XF8.5 certainly was brighter than either the 8 or 10mm Radian.

Bottom line: both types are great, you will enjoy either. Ultimately, EPs are for looking through, not looking at ;)

Wow!!, thats a bargain Andrew, I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on that at that price?? I know if I wasn't already sorted at that fl I would be snapping that up.

I thought the guy simply forgot to take it off. Surely it can't be still there. His 22 LVW was snapped up instantly.

It would appear that a lot of folks think TV are the only manufacturer of eyepieces :smiley:

andrew

Not really, I am now getting more into Pentax, and might even check out a Nikon when I am in Japan in November (the prices of Nikon EPs are WAY lower over there).

TV is the biggest premium eyepiece manufacturer available in UK, with Pentax following a distance second. The biggest problem with Pentax is their limited range. They have 1 complete 70deg series the XW, but the other two can barely be called an eyepiece series (XF and XO). All Pentax eyepieces are great eyepiece, but they are not as comprehensive as TV's offering. It would be a very different story if Pentax were to make a complete range of XF and XO, but it's extremely worrying that Pentax are starting to discontinue their astronomy eyepiece instead. It's rumour the XO have been axed and it's now official that the 2" XW (30 and 40) was discontinued.

Nikon is making an even more limited range of eyepieces, the NAV-SW covered the short to medium focal range 70deg market, and the 2 NAV-HW hyperwide showing off what Nikon can do if they can be bothered to make eyepiece for astronomy. The biggest problem with Nikon is their oversea distribution. It's clear they have no intention of selling their eyepiece abroad. In fact no one in Japan except Kokusai Kohki will ship them abroad and the only other company selling them (APM in Germany) is selling at an insane price. The street price of Nikon eyepieces in Japan is around 10% less than KK's offering, and that's excluding shipping and tax.

Nikon probably sell more EDG spotting scopes than they sell their astronomical eyepieces.

Wow what a question to ask. This should have members busy for a while. In my book both are top hole, unless you have both or have had both I think that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference apart from the extra FOV, I would go for the Nagler as they are cheaper to buy

Alan..

Archived