NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quality over quantity

neilm

So, I've somehow accumulated a number of binoculars over the past couple of years, Nikon Action AE 10x50,Hawke Nature Trek 10x50, Helios Quantum 4 15x70 and Helios Apollo 15x85. The Hawke live in the car and are general purpose, the Apollos are my weapon of choice due to their optical quality, the Quantums and Nikons rarely used.

Due to some good fortune I'm in the position to afford some quality binoculars, I'm planning to get shot of the Quantums and Nikons and replace them with a single pair. I thinking along the lines of Leica Utravid 12x50, possibly Douvids 10-15x50 or Swarovski EL Sv 12x50.

The question, does anyone have any experience of these or have any suggestions for alternatives of similar quality worth considering.

Thanks

Neil

I've used the Swarovski EL 10x50 Swarovision. The image quality is absolutely stunning, making it very satisfactory to use. However, for astronomy, a 50mm is still only a 50mm (OK, a lot of the budget ones are only just over 40mm :smiley: ) and you can't beat the laws of physics. In addition to the suggestions of others, one option to consider (if you could find one) is a used Takahashi 22x60 astronomer; it too has absolutely stunning optical quality and is designed for astronomy. Alternatively, I understand that Miyauchi are back in production.

Hello Neil

I would also checkout the Canon 15x50 IS Image Stabilizer Binoculars

they are stunning and the deepth you get with them is just amazing

Im sure there will be others that will also let you know how good they really are

I like the Canon 10x42 L IS. Gorgeous quality as they are Canons only L-glass bino, but small and light enough that you will really use them a lot. The image stabilization makes them behave like larger aperture bins.

Thanks folks for all the replies.

I guess the comment "you can't beat the laws of physics" is the telling one and that however good the optics are you can't account for lack of aperture. The news that Miyauchi are going back into production I think seals it for me, I’d tried hunting a pair down before I got the Apollo’s, thing I’ll hang fire and see how readily they become available and at what price.

Cheers

Neil

Bit of a shame you are fairly south, on 17-19 Aug is the Birdfair at Rutland Water and they have a marquee of binoculars to look at and try.

If you did fancy the drive, fairly easy as it is up the A1 to just past Stamford then head left, here is the link:

http://www.birdfair.org.uk/

For general binoculars you will get no where better to look and try.

Have to say that the Leica's are always the best, they put Swarovski's Nikons and everything else into second place, but at £1400 they ain't cheap.

Also you will find others that are very good, there was one brand (UK) that I cannot recall, they did a 12x set that was very impressive, need to have a look for them this year.

Hello Neil

I would also checkout the Canon 15x50 IS Image Stabilizer Binoculars

they are stunning and the deepth you get with them is just amazing

Im sure there will be others that will also let you know how good they really are

Never used these binoculars but have heard a lot about them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived