Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Poll: How many people here own a complete line of eyepiece?

E621Keith

Do you own a complete line of eyepiece?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a complete line of eyepiece?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you vote 5 times if you own all the eyepieces in 5 sets ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Haven't got 5 sets but I do have a full set of Baader Orthos and a full set of Celestron Axiom's, working on the x-cels now so will get to 3 sets at some point - depending on work overtime!!

I had lots of work trips to the US a while ago so got a really good deal on the Axioms.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have four Pentax XW's and a Vixen LV. At some point I may get a 5mm XW but I have no need of the 3.5, 30 or 40 so I will not complete the set. I would like to have all the eyepieces I use come from the same set but I don't need every focal length available.

I used to have obsessive eyepiece collection behaviour and had over 20 at one time and must have had over 50 eyepieces pass though my hands in the last 20 years or so. I'm proud to say I cured myself without the need for therapy and am down to just 3 now, plus 2 for the binoviewer (all TV's). I find it's much more pleasurable this way as you're not constantly swapping eypieces over in the diagonal or fiddling around in cases for that slightly more powerful ocular. Reduces the stress and allows more time for actual observing i.m.o.h.

I have all 3 of the Explore Scientific 100 degree fov eyepieces and nearly all the 82 degree fov.Im bot bothering with the 14mm or 24mm because i know they wont get used much.

I just realised there are only 3 ES100s. I thought they cloned the whole Ethos line.

Nope, although I only own three plus a Barlow (Standard Skywatcher MA's and 4mm TMB Design), while I would love to own all the TMB Designed ones, there are 11 Focal Lengths in that design. Some of them I will go for a BST for (15 and 25), and I'm not sure I'll need the 20mm.

While it's great to have an entire matching set, unless you have spare cash (after having gotten a nice Ethos or two), there really is no need to complete a set, even though aesthetically it is a lot more pleasing.

They have announced a 25mm 100 deg EP. Same field-stop diameter as the Nagler 31T5, but with smaller exit pupil. Nice for fast dobs.

I think I read somewhere that ES has a habit of announcing a new EP and not following through.

It does sound like an interesting EP to have though.

In addition, consider the cost of completing, or getting near to completing a set, and how it compares to the next better eyepiece.

Skywatcher MA, probably about £10 - £15 each, so you need 2 to complete the set (assuming you were supplied with the 10mm and 25mm from the start)

For £30, you could afford TMB Designed / 2nd-Hand BSTs / Vixen NPLs

For the price of 2, you could afford an 2nd-Hand X-Cel

For the price of 2 2nd-Hand X-Cels, you could afford an Aero or similar

For the price of 2 you could afford a Nirvana

For the price of 2 you could afford a Delos / Panoptic / Nagler

For the price of 2 you could afford an Ethos.

(For the price of 2 refers to the previous one ;))

Very quickly, owning a set becomes less and less important, you might as well just save up.

I have seen it on pre-order here

Michael,

I have had to twice request refunds from Scope City for essentially waiting weeks for particular eyepieces. It wasnt that I was advised initially that there was a wait. Kind of frustrating, as their prices and postage are excellent.

Sorry if slightly off topic.

Barry

They have announced a 25mm 100 deg EP. Same field-stop diameter as the Nagler 31T5, but with smaller exit pupil. Nice for fast dobs.

That sounds interesting. I will wait a few years until I hear some user reviews. It's nice to see ES is now producing their own 100deg design.

I've always been a bit of a mix-and-matcher, as series often have advantages in different focal length ranges. As an example, a complete set of ploessls will be good for low and medium power, but the short focal lengths have increasingly limited eye relief... As far as I can remember, I've only ever owned two of a series at once, despite having been through over 60 different eyepieces in my 6 years in the hobby!

However, I happen to own a complete set of Zeiss Abbe-II orthoscopics, plus the Zeiss/Baader barlow, complete with walnut case. This is a set of four limited release orthoscopics that came out in 2010. Very fine eyepieces indeed.

Andrew

Archived