Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Poll: How many people here own a complete line of eyepiece?

E621Keith

Do you own a complete line of eyepiece?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a complete line of eyepiece?

After reading this thread in the lounge, I wondered how many people own a complete line of eyepiece with every focal lengths in that particular series.

http://stargazerslou...stronomer-when/

Rule:

1) Must own every eyepieces in that particular series. e.g. you must have 5,6,7,9,12.5,18mm BGO to qualify for owning a complete set of BGO.

2) The eyepiece line must have more than one eyepiece, so one off reticule eyepiece does not count.

3) The eyepiece series can be from any manufacturer.

4) Exclude eyepieces that are not available yet. e.g. Delos 6, 10, 17.3 count as a complete set because the other focal lengths are not available yet.

5) Must include eyepieces that was once available but now discontinued, so if your BGO set is missing a 12.5, it doesn't count as a complete set even though BGO 12.5 is no longer available.

6) Exclude zoom, so if you have both Pentax XF 8.5 and 12, it counts as having the complete set, you don't need the XF zoom as well.

Note: most eyepiece kits do not contain every eyepieces in the series. e.g. There are 8 Revelation plossls, but only 5 comes with the kit.

I don't own any complete eyepiece line. Let see how many do.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you vote 5 times if you own all the eyepieces in 5 sets ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't think many people would own more than one complete series. A third option have been added.

Do you want to share what they are?

Have an incomplete set of BGOs (one missing) and an incomplete set of Revelation plossls (two missing). I didn't deliberately set out to buy a full set of either, but kept adding BGOs because I liked them.

James

I used to have all the T6 Naglers but thats the only range where I've done that. The 2.5mm did not get used much though :rolleyes2:

At one point I had the whole set of Hyperion Mk II zooms !

I have the complete set of BST explorer ep`s, this will be the only ep set i ever have in full.

I would love to have the full set of kokusai circle T orthoscopics, but i would not use the 4 and 5mm, and i already have a 12.5 and 18mm ortho from other makes

I have all Nagler T4s (just three), that should count as a series, I would think.

It counts, I didn't expect many people will own a complete eyepiece series to begin with. I will probably get no respond if I restrict it to a comprehensive range like S5k UWA, Ethos or XW.

I mix and match my eyepieces as well and if I ever own a complete set, it will be be from a series with very few eyepieces, like Pentax XF or Hyperion Aspheric.

One low power, one high power and something in between, that's my philosophy. Maybe also one that gives somewhere over 200x for really good days. Can't say I've ever wanted 1.5x more magnification other than at the highest end and on the best days, so most wide ranging eyepiece sets are lost on me. Quality over quantity and all that.

I like to faff around with magnification, to tease out detail. In planetary work, I play around to see how much magnification the current seeing will take, and in DSO observations, I also find there are optimal magnifications which vary from object to object. This depends on both the darkness of the sky and the surface brightness of the object.

The three EP approach is kinder on the wallet, of course. I started out that way, but then got eyepiece fever, which is every bit as bad as aperture fever ;)

I'm still in the process of building my ep collection, though I'm taking the minimalist approach. I've found that I don't really like juggling with too many eyepieces in the dark. A 17 and 10mm Ethos have spent most time in my diagonal so far, and I was thinking of getting a 6mm Delos to round off the collection. I really don't think I need anything else - plus a full set of Ethoi would be way too expensive :)

Suppose it depends on the variety of scopes you own at different focal lengths to warrant the need for a full series of a particular model of eyepiece. My SCT at 2032mm and dob at 1500mm of 8" and 12" aperture, are compatible with my existing set which is a mix of tv plossls, naglers and panoptics. I do however like to make small incremental changes in magnification stepping up and down to gauge the best framed view, dependent on the conditions and type of object. For this reason I currently have eight eyepieces and there is room for one more in due course.

Suppose it depends on the variety of scopes you own at different focal lengths to warrant the need for a full series of a particular model of eyepiece. My SCT at 2032mm and dob at 1500mm of 8" and 12" aperture, are compatible with my existing set which is a mix of tv plossls, naglers and panoptics. I do however like to make small incremental changes in magnification stepping up and down to gauge the best framed view, dependent on the conditions and type of object. For this reason I currently have eight eyepieces and there is room for one more in due course.

You are right about the variety of scopes owned. The low power eyepieces for my 80/480 apo becomes the high power eyepiece for my 9.25"/2350mm SCT. There a few gaps in my current collection for both apo and C925. I could do with a something in between my 2.5mm (192x) and 5mm ortho (96x) for the apo and a something between my 13 LVW (180x) and 24 Hyperion (98x) for my C925. Fortunately the latter is covered by my 8-24mm zoom and the former is rarely use because I tend to use the Apo for widefield and SCT for planets. I will fill those gap someday, but I will wait and see what comes up on ABS. It's unlikely they will lead to a full eyepiece set though.

Archived