Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The astronomy adventure begins fully today: bought my first scope!

So, after buying some books a Planisphere and a pair of Celstron binoculars, and doing as much viewing as work and clouds allow, I made the decision to buy my first scope!

I drove from Hull to Rotherham this morning and had a play about with the display model in Rother Valley Optics (I'll be posting a review about that in the appropriate section) . 15 minutes later and it's in the back of my car along with a Revelation eyepiece set and a Cheshire Collimator.

1 hour later and I'm back home with the scope...it's a Skywatcher 200P Dob! I initially wanted some kind of GOTO model but after reading all the posts on here and doing weeks of research on the net this seemed the best for me. I'm also slightly exaggerating about the scope being in my kitchen. At the minute it's in two large boxes awaiting assembly.

And that's it so far! The adventure/voyage of discovery starts now (although I've been using bino's, having the scope seems different somehow). I know that sounds cliched but that's just what it feels like, I've started taking small steps on a trip that's got so many great things waiting to be discovered by me for the first time.

As always, thanks for listening.

Don't open the box with the clouds in it!

I started with bins and it was a great introduction but having a scope is going to open a whole new sky to you (and what a scope you bought)!

Enjoy.

Pretty much the same as me mate, although I drove from doncaster last week to the very same shop! Same scope too, you're gonna love it!

May I just ask how much you paid as the online price is more than the receipt I got (I got charged the higher price) but I was told the scope price on their system had not been update yet!

Well done on the scope Carl from another newbie 200p owner :laugh:

Lets hope all us new owners can share the adventure together,when we get some nice skies to look at that is ??

Sadly it's not me - I just got a 6" on clearance (sadly came with a bent spider vane so it will need primary and secondary collimation and the Cheshire isn't due til tomorrow).

Anyway - not going to thread jack.

My Missus said 6" wasn't big enough so I got 8" as well....... Sorry have I gone off thread a bit here :rolleyes: Any hows congrats on the new scope. Lets hope the bad weather buggers off so we can get outside and enjoy them. :smiley:

hey guys can i join in? :smiley: i collected my SS 200P on Monday evening and am ready to go, looks like it's gonna have to wait tho, weather forecast is poor for the next few days

mine came ready equipped with a setting circle and a wixey and i think they're gonna help loads

i've also got myself an adjustable stool for viewing, 30 quid from amazon and its pretty neat

it's my first scope and am dying to get started, good luck guys......keep the reports coming in

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks for all the replies so far! It's good to know that there's a lot of us who are just starting out. I built the base unit last night so I'm going to have a good play around with the tube assembly today. The guys at RVO collimated the scope for me in-store so I don't have to worry about that too much just yet.

I was going to post a review of the store but apparently I need 50 or more posts for that so I'll put it on here. The guys at the store were great and were more than happy to answer any questions I had (even though they've obviously heard them dozens of times before). They were also quick to add that if I had ANY problems at all after purchase then all I had to do was ring and they'd try and help. The store was packed with gear and they were more than happy for me to spend as much time as I liked just wandering around and looking/tinkering. Price wise, I think they're comparable to all other suppliers. I do a lot of Internet buying but as astronomy gear is so delicate (and has to be 'right' for the buyer) I was happy to drive to a store with an actual physical location.

So, a great first scope buying experience! Yes, it's been like a monsoon both pre and post buying but I'm sure the skies'll clear at some point. Hopefully.

Archived