Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime disguise for a pier?

astrostu

Hi all, I will hopefully be staring to build an astro pier... Well as soon as the rest of the garden is finished and "she who must be obeyed" gives me her final blessing to crack on tht is. One of the conditions layed down reg the pier by the aforesaid woman is tht it must not look like an astronomy pier when I am not using it. So I'm looking for ideas or if anyone has done something similar to their pier is love to have a look. Thanks in advance. Stu ~

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

I did think about making a bird table/bath top but I didn't want it covered in bird poo...

Just need to make the gnomon and mark out the face.

post-11721-0-45727600-1340119858_thumb.j

It's on the path, but we hardly ever walk down that bit. I was going to put it on a slab in the lawn but the Mrs said "just put it on the path..." and there it is :)

Brick Pier using 5 Bricks per layer with the angles (36 degrees i think) cut each end of each brick to form a circle, i would estimate 15" wide with a 8" hole in the middle to accommodate the fixings for the Pier head, when its not in use dump a bird table on top...I will build one myself but just a bit buzy at the moment....

Build a Maypole.

You can use the ribbons as a safety harness and stays whilst you are up there and if you build it tall enough, you're above the street and house lights. Double winner.

@LukeSkywatcher was gonna build a full obsy and warm room but the space available or should I say am allowed isn't large enough. Just gonna build a small 6x4 shed warm room/ observation planning room/ image processing suit lol and build the pier out side it.

@ Tinker1947 I was gonna do the whole sink the drain pipe on to the ground reinforce and fill with cement. Would a brick pier work as well to dampen vibraton? Any1 got any images taken from a brick pier?

@Rodgerthedoger your pier looks quite stable? As long as your not walking on the slabs next to it I suppose.

Very stable. I made sure I picked a slab that was well bedded and I don't walk anywhere near it when imaging. If you hit it, any vibration dampens out very fast, I'm happy with it :)

Archived