Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting to know each other....

Simms

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Time I introduced myself. It looks as if I'm the old man of Essex as I'm 71 and rapidly approaching 72. I've had an interest in astronomy since living in Nairobi back in the early seventies but didn't really get into practical astronomy until retiring from teaching physics. My chief interest now is deep sky imaging with a DSLR and CCD camera.

There is a whole page of "about me" on my website (see sig) for anyone interested. I regularly attend the Kelling Star party but have yet to get to an SGL one. I do have an observatory (SkyShed POD) but would still be interested in meeting up at a dark site for some imaging with my astrotrac and DSLR. I am an active member of CPAC based near Rayleigh and have been since retiring 12 years ago.

Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the group - interesting to hear you are part of CPAC - have you ever had a chance to visit the dark-site they use on the Dengie Penisula? Would love to know from someones first hand experience what it is like there..

I will check out your website when I get home.

Hi Dave, welcome to the group - interesting to hear you are part of CPAC - have you ever had a chance to visit the dark-site they use on the Dengie Penisula? Would love to know from someones first hand experience what it is like there..

I will check out your website when I get home.

Yes, I've been to the club site many times. It is pretty dark but not as much as it used to be. I haven't been at all recently, mainly due to poor weather. Unfortunately it is on private land and the club has to buy a key each year to access the site.

Dave

Yes, I've been to the club site many times. It is pretty dark but not as much as it used to be. I haven't been at all recently, mainly due to poor weather. Unfortunately it is on private land and the club has to buy a key each year to access the site.

Dave

Yup, I touched base with the landowner the other day and he explained the procedure. We think we have possibly found a site close by that should offer the same dark skies (about 700yrds away!)

Yup, I touched base with the landowner the other day and he explained the procedure. We think we have possibly found a site close by that should offer the same dark skies (about 700yrds away!)

I read that thread after I had posted. That does look good, especially as there wouldn't be any through traffic. If we do go there, don't be too surprised if the police come to investigate. They are very friendly when they discover the purpose of the visit. It seems that the area is or has been used for smuggling.

Thanks all for the welcome. Is anyone else going to Kelling in September?

Dave

Here's my intro.

I am 38, live in Tiptree Heath with my Wife, no kids, just fish and Chickens. I have been into Astronomy for about 2 years and am now starting to delve into AP with my SW 250 PDS/NEQ6, ST80 guiding with QHY5v and imaging using a Canon 1100d. I am an active member of North Essex Astronomical Society who currently have a membership of 122! so there must be loads of astronomers in the whole of Essex. There's a few of us going to Kelling in Sept so perhaps we can look out for each other. I've never been to a star party, but it sounds like an idea to put a sign on your tent with your SGL name, so people know who you are?

Andy

Here's my intro,

Im Alan 56 I live on Shooters Hill in London with my wife Sue, I have 1 daughter and 2 granddaughters

I,ve been into astrophotography now for about 18 months now I find I never tire from the subject

whether Im on the forum or watching someone video tutorial it brings me great pleasure.

I know that without the help from members of this forum I would not be in the position I am today

with what I have achieved.

Regards BigBlueOne.

welcome Andy and bigblueone ! really good to see theres a few of us essex mob !

ok so I'm going to ask something ridiculously stupid - what and where is kelling ?? (i feel i should know this)

The Kelling Heath star party is probably the largest astro get together in Europe, You can find it just East of HOLT on the North Norfolk Coast.

Saturday starts of with trade stands and astro boot stalls, most of my astro kit has come from this one anual event over the years. During the afternoon the are astro related talks by well respectd speakers, later there are tours around the site looking at the many types of astronomy equipment. Then there is a huge raffle in the main square. In the evening one can stroll around the site AND if the astronomer is not imaging, most observers will let you have a look through the eyepiece.

Its a great day out.

well that sounds brilliant !!! i may drag the mrs along in that case although she won't care 1 bit haha at least i will be entertained and its a day out !

Surely there must be a shoeandhandbagfest somewhere u can both go to sometime :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, My name is Allen

And I have a problem

It all started one night when out walking

It was a clear night and the sky was alive ( WOW )

I stood amazed by what I saw above and then started to think what this would look like through a scope

I looked at things on the net and found this forum and joined up

I have been to Kelling Heath star party and saw some great things The one that stood out most was the Andromeda Galaxy, unbelievable

I was fortunate to be able to swap some unused camera equipment for the LX90 kit I have and added some items to it

I have booked to go to Kelling again this autumn

Would be nice to get out in Essex with other like minder individuals

:smiley:

Archived