is this the right place to order some clear skies?

MattS

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I'm looking forward to taking my 4SE out for a test run when it arrives.

Ronnie - I'm sure Rolf Harris will do a great job on the sky for you... can you tell what it is yet?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately someone in the Water Department was complaining about the reservoirs being too low or something in March because they have leaky pipes and that it would need "substantial and sustained" rainfall all year to replenish them back to normal levels, looks like they got thier order in before mine, all I wanted was 4 nights clear viewing a month lol.

We're right out of clear skies at the moment I'm afraid. No idea when we'll have any more in. Now I'd like to complain about this parrot...

James

Ahh the Norwegian Blue... beautiful plumage....

Hi Matt

Welcome to SGL

My first scope was a 4se, a great scope to start with, you won't be dissapointed.

As for ordering the clear skies, if you find someone offering to sell you some (proberbly best to try eBay) make sure you get a long guarantee with them as normally they don't seem to last that long!

Mark

Good news guys! Clear skies will probably be available tonight and tomorrow!!!!!! Because I just had a call from the company I ordered my new 'scope from (last Thursday) telling me that they will send it out tomorrow so I should get it on Wednesday... Expect clouds from Wednesday onwards.

Hooray! I got my first semi clear night tonight so I have been able to have my first look at the stars through my NexStar 4SE. It was the first time I have done the setup for the goto mount and I found it much easier than I thought. I struggled a little with the controller, mainly as it was the first time I have used a computerised 'scope. I could see stars above me but couldn't figure out how to tell what they were or how to tell the 'scope to point at them. I figured it out in the end... The motor speed was at its slowest so it didn't appear to move when I used the direction keys. After 25 mins of messing, I found my first nebula... The Ring Nebula.. Only faint, but I could see it! Now I just need more darkness and no cloud to get fully up to speed! Oh, and I need to move my house out of the way so I could see Saturn from my back garden!! (or go somewhere with better viewing areas). I am VERY happy with this very portable 'scope :)

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL, the trouble is Matt you have taken the wrong course of action in ordering Astro equipment as it tends to override other peoples orders for clear skies, but I am sure they will forgive you :D

John.

Hi Graham,

Astronomy isn't for the early sleeper at this time of year! I was just about to turn in and noticed a twinkling star through the clouds getting brighter as I watched... I'm very glad I had the chance to play - besides it's the weekend, and at least I wasn't up at 5:17am!

I didn't take any pics last night, I was too busy learning how to use the controls. I've ordered the RS232 to USB converter so I can try controlling it with my more familiar computer rather than trying remember that up and down for the object database is not the same control as the up and down for the motor... I'm sure I messed up the alignment somehow while I was attempting to select a different object to view.

Matt :)

• 1 month later...

Archived