Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stupid Question

Is there a good reason why all the covers for my telescope and EPs are black? or is just a conspiracy from telecope manufacturers to make them difficult to find in the dark? ;-) I am considering painting the edges of them with white paint to make it less difficult to lose them. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Cheaper to manufacture would be my guess.

If there is a practical reason other than that it would be interesting to hear it.

Paint them white and let us know if your scope falls apart!! :grin:

My theory:

If you see black you have left the cover on.

Simplae as.

As for painting it white? Why not. Better to be seen in the red light than the black doing it's best not to be found on the floor.

I may be wrong but I believe that carbon (naturally black in color) is an important ingredient in the plastic making process. Like another reply stated, to add color raises the manufacturing costs. While on the subject, the same holds true for the plastic holders of eyepiece lenses, or any other rubber/plastic items that, when you think abouit it, always come in the color black.

The same holds true of auto, bicycle and other devices that use synthetic rubber for their tires.

Just one of life's mysteries that has a "hidden" easy and simple explanation. I think painting observing accessory containers is a good idea and makes it easy to see in the dark.

After all, the manufactures' think of their production costs - not preventing you from loosing valued accessories, such as astro items - It's that "We don't care because we don't have to" syndrome that we all have to put up with.

Maybe this is the big business opportunity I have been looking for, selling white replacement covers

I'm afraid Lumicon have beat you to it . Rother Valley sell a set of 4 yellow ones for the princeley sum of £11.22 :eek:

Plenty of scope for undercutting I'd have thought :grin:

No reason why you can't decorate the outside of your scope covers however you like, although I'd leave the interior untouched.

Customized covers for scopes and eyepieces...hmmm there may be a market for that.

Anyone handy with an airbrush and a good eye\steady hand ? ;)

No reason why you can't decorate the outside of your scope covers however you like, although I'd leave the interior untouched.

Customized covers for scopes and eyepieces...hmmm there may be a market for that.

Anyone handy with an airbrush and a good eye\steady hand ? ;)

Paint it is good. Just do not paint it camoflague if you go into fields a lot. :grin:

I painted a duel mounting plate I had made black. The first time I used it I left it behind on a bench 'cos I could not see it in the dark.

Luckily I realised and went back for it, I've since put some reflective stickers on it. My new one is painted white!

Archived