Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First scope, Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 ????????

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first scope, i don't have a clue where to start or what most of the numbers mean, also words like Barlow, ccd, EQ5, etc etc.

I have being offered a Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 at a good price by my dealer.

Question, is this too much for my first scope? would i not be better off with a small goto? or am i right in thinking size matters. How big is the 200p.

What sort of images could i expect to see of Saturn and the Andromeda galaxy.

Sorry for the usual beginner questions.

Cheers

Robert

The 200p is an excellent starter scope. The 200 refers to the diameter of the primary mirror (the ‘light collector’ if you will)… in this case it’s an 8” mirror. EQ5 refers to the telescope mount (on top of the tripod).

I personally wouldn’t recommend go-to… whilst it may be good for casual observers, you will have to make severe compromises in terms of telescope quality at this price range. Whilst it may well be nice to have the observable universe at the touch of the button, you’ll only end up wishing you’d bought a bigger scope for your money (very VERY quickly!) as your views will be compromised.

Have you considered a dobsonian? You’ll get a lot more scope for your money if you go down that rout.

Ironically, the andromeda galaxy is actually too large to fit in view with most telescopes… what you will see is the bright core surrounded by wisps of it’s outer arms. Saturn however will be easily viewable.

I would agree with all Andy has said.

8" aperture is where things really start to get interesting for visual observing. If you are just thinking of visual observing at this stage, I would also suggest you look at the Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. It is lighter, easier and faster to set up, and the eyepiece will always be in a convenient place to look through. With an equatorial mounted Newtonian the eyepiece can end up in some uncomfortable positions. Being f/6 rather an f/5 means the Skyliner will be just as good for deep sky objects (nebulae and galaxies etc.) but better for looking at planets than the Explorer, so more of an all rounder. Works well with cheaper eyepieces too.

The only time I would consider an EQ mount would be for astrophotography as Dobsonians can't really be used for taking pictures. But if astrophotography is what you want, then a 200P / EQ5 wouldn't be a sensible recommendation anyway.

The 200p on EQ5 is a cracking scope and mount, and If you like it and want to expand at a later date you can add tracking motors and even add autoguiding if you decide to take up astrophotography, The dobsonian is easier to set up and for visual use possibly better due to its ease, this scope and mount should last years before you want to upgrade.

Kev

I had a small goto scope (127MAK) to start off with, but due to problems with the motors I changed it to a 200P on an EQ5 mount...

The amount you can see in the 200P is far better than the smaller 127MAK..

Yes it does take some time to use the EQ mount but its all a learning curve and brings far bigger smiles (IMHO) when you do hit a target....

I've got the skyliner 200p Dob ,personally I find it easier and quicker to set up than the equitorial mount, especially with our weather at the moment (one month cloudy one hour clear skies), but I spend most of my time star hopping and planet watching, as of yet I'm not worried about astrophotography so it really suits my needs, as for tracking objects because everything is Bottom about face, I've found that practising following planes in low power helps me to get to grips with orientation, especially when the ISS goes over, But both scopes are fantastic, it really depends on what you want from it the ultimate question

+1 for joining the Dob mob. I weighed up both options having decided on the OTA and I'm glad I went with the dobsonian option. If you decide to try something else at a later date they hold their value extremely well as long as you look after them, and you can just focus (pun intended!) on what you are looking at/trying to find while you settle in rather than adding to the initial learning curve.

The SW 200P on an EQ5 mount is an excellent starter scope, just in that range where you can start to see some real detail in globular clusters etc, light-gathering capacity is everything if you are interested in DSO's (Deep Sky Objects). You will not be dissappointed with its performance, I can assure you.

The EQ5 mount is a good mount to start learning astronomy with as it will last a while and doesn't shake like scooby doo on a ghost train when you touch it. If you want goto you can add it later too. It will take a few days to learn how to set it up properly but once you know how it can be done quite quickly. The 200P is a nice scope and could be all the scope you will ever need too. I say go for it.

I'm just a beginner at this, but I don't understand how the guy is going to get a decent image of the Andromeda Galaxy with a DOB mount?

I think it's a case of not realising that 'images' normally means astrophotography. "What sort of images could i expect to see of Saturn and the Andromeda galaxy" Implies visual observing.

I think it's a case of not realising that 'images' normally means astrophotography. "What sort of images could i expect to see of Saturn and the Andromeda galaxy" Implies visual observing.

Yes visual observing, i tink the last time i looked through a scope i was 12 and it wasn't mine and it was [removed word] poor, that was about 24years ago!! Jesus where has the time gone.

Cheers lads for the advice,

I'm also considering the SW Explorer 200p EQ5 and was just wondering how big the mount and scope are and also how much it all weighs, so i know what i'm actually buying, any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm also considering the SW Explorer 200p EQ5 and was just wondering how big the mount and scope are and also how much it all weighs, so i know what i'm actually buying, any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi traynor,

The scope and mount together is quite heavy (I can not move mine as one), but what I tend to do is remove the balance weights before moving the mount, then once that is in the right place I replace the balance weights and then add the scope..

IMHO the whole setup is far to big and heavy to move as one piece and I am sure if you did try you would end up dropping the scope / mount and that would not be a good thing to do.....

Cheers

Paul

The link Cantab shows the size of the 200P on an EQ5. The tube along with the finder probably comes in at 7 to 8 Kgs (ish!). The EQ5 is about 24 Kg all set up.

This was my first scope and although ive since built a dobsonion mount for it it is still my main scope, it is very good for the money! The Skyliner Dob is probably even better for a beginner seeing as it is slightly longer in the tube and f6 instead of f5, so slightly more forgiving on eyepieces. I still use my EQ5 to hold up my Tal 100RS - a very good match up!!

Doc

I have the skywatcher 200p flextube dob, and i gotta say optically its a fantastic peice of equipment, i have had a go at picturing the moon with a digital camaera held up to the eyepiece (check my photo album). I think if you are looking at just veiwing objects and not photography than the dob mount is a winner just on the price aspect alone, however if you are going to take astrophotography seriously then go for a eq mount like the heq5. it gets real expesive real fast though so i would look at the dob and think about webcam astrophotography if thats what you want to do. Size wise my dob is very comfortable to view through just need to bend over slighly to look though the eyepece, the scope on the mount in its stowed position it just a little taller than my 5 year old daughter, and it probably weights about as much as a 5 year old :) who loves the scope also :) The scope is very portable and easy to set up ect, just want the early nights to roll in now so i can get out there and start veiwing. Just my 2 cents :) Clear skies

Archived