Am I being greedy?

Hi all,

I put my kit on astro buys and sells as well as advertised on this forum for the price of £350.00 or offers.

would you please look and let me know if im asking too much for the kit, I gave it what I thought was a decent price but I guessed it so if it is too dear then I would be ok altering price.

Thanks,

Kev.

The general rule of thumb is around 2/3 new price for kit in good condition. It might be good to add details of how much the extras you're included might costs. Otherwise, give it a bit more time - things generally slow down in the summer as there's not much darkness, but pick up again around September.

Helen

Doesn't seem a completely unreasonable price to me. As Helen says, a lack of interest might just reflect the fact that there's not a lot of time for astronomy during what we laughingly describe as "summer" and some people even stop altogether for a couple of months.

Of course, if you've offered it at a reasonable price and no-one wants it then you might just have to keep it after all, eh? :)

James

Whilst you have a fine set-up for sale, you are sort of relying on somebody wanting a wide variety of accessories from the start.

Also, many people will find it hard to look past the price of a new unit and the legendary service from FLO should something go wrong within the warranty period.

As said before you will certainly get what it is worth when the skies are a bit darker in a few months

I always find if selling stuff it is usually best to break it down and sell it separately, that way you increase you potential customers. Someone who maybe wants one thing won't want something else etc. If someone wants a particular scope they will often prefer to buy just the scope in it's original condition with the standard accessories at a reasonable price, the odd extra can help tip the scales but too much is often a lot for beginners to take in and experienced people will possibly already have quite a few accessories so won't want doubles. Selling separately can also make you more money too. It is not the best time to sell but again you have more chance breaking it all up as you're open to a wider market.

I agree with others about selling in summer, especially beginner equipment. Not many people get into astronomy during summer so it will be hard to sell to beginners. Those still hanging around are usually keen enthusiast and probably won't interested in beginner equipments.You may have better luck if you split the mount and the scope. With summer holiday season approaching, I guess some people may be interested in a light weight EQ mount such as a EQ3-2 for taking with them on holiday. The 150p may have to wait until autumn.

Glad I found this thread. I am in the market for a new scope probably late August, early September and was going to sell my current one to assist with the funding of the new one. So looks like two thirds of new price for something in excellent condition. At least I now have a gauge with which to work.

Besides there being relatively little real darkness at this time of year many astro clubs sort of shut up shop over the summer so less people at this time to come into the hobby, but add in that people are not spending heavily and many will have either paid out for or looking the expense of a summer holiday.

It may be a case of people being interested but they are also looking at £2000 for a family holiday there isn't the spare cash at hand.

I love he umber break in astro work this time of year is great for building a base to view from or even better,get a shed,do not rush to to sell,as kit does not sell that well .this time of year

But if it's got to go thn,mske sur yo get a good price mate

Pat

I actually considered buying the scope so at least you know people are looking! However I hope you don't mind letting you know why I didn't. Your ad says that have owned the scope for 18 months but I wonder whether it had any previous owners? The style of the mount seems to suggest this kit is rather older than 18 months. As far as I'm aware (and I stand to be corrected) EQ3-2 mounts have been white at least since 2008. The OTA has had a black and white livery for some time as well. I also checked the price of a brand new motorised on both axes 150P on a modern EQ3-2 mount and found I could buy one for £381 in total. I presume the eyepices came with the scope? There are a couple of Barlows, but did one of them also come with the scope? There are also the extra tripod bits, Bhartinov masks and solar film filters but all these are extras that I didn't really need, although, of course, they might be useful to someone else. In the end, I considered that buying brand new setup for just a little more was probably better than buying the pre-owned one even with all the extras.

Overall I don't think the price is unreasonable and I don't think you are ripping anyone off. Perhaps in time someone will come along and make you an offer.

As others have said, a realistic price for 2nd hand gear online (depending on condition) is about two thirds. If the gear is OLD but still in great condition then the price should be about 1/2. Also as suggested, its a good idea to split the gear into as many individual sale lots as possible as this will increase the amount of buyers.

You may not have had any offers to date, but hold out for your price for a while as it seems very fair. If in a few weeks there is still no takers you could reduce the price by a few pounds.

Now i am off to look at your advert.

I actually considered buying the scope so at least you know people are looking! However I hope you don't mind letting you know why I didn't. Your ad says that have owned the scope for 18 months but I wonder whether it had any previous owners? The style of the mount seems to suggest this kit is rather older than 18 months. As far as I'm aware (and I stand to be corrected) EQ3-2 mounts have been white at least since 2008. The OTA has had a black and white livery for some time as well. I also checked the price of a brand new motorised on both axes 150P on a modern EQ3-2 mount and found I could buy one for £381 in total. I presume the eyepices came with the scope? There are a couple of Barlows, but did one of them also come with the scope? There are also the extra tripod bits, Bhartinov masks and solar film filters but all these are extras that I didn't really need, although, of course, they might be useful to someone else. In the end, I considered that buying brand new setup for just a little more was probably better than buying the pre-owned one even with all the extras.

Overall I don't think the price is unreasonable and I don't think you are ripping anyone off. Perhaps in time someone will come along and make you an offer.

Thanks for letting me know, and no I dont mind at all being told why, I will alter the ad as yes you are correct the mount and scope is considerably older than 18 months but im not sure of age, all I can say is the guy I bought it from said he had had it from his dad who bought it new, when his dad passed away. I cant guarantee but I was under the impression that it was unused for a couple of years gathering dust. The eyepieces are brand new and have never been used are from my ST80 as is the 2x barlow, the 3x barlow is one I bought but wont be using when I get my 250pds. which is the same reason as I said in the ad that when I get the 250pds I will add the 9x50 finder as I already have a 9x50 raci.

Once again thank you for letting me know.

Kev.

Kevdan............may i ask what brand of 3X barlow you are selling?

Maybe i should ask on the advert.

I have asked on the sales advert. Mods please feel free to remove this comment.

It is similar to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-BARLOW-3x-LENS-ACHROMATIC-EYEPIECE-ASTROBITS-/280888783501?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item416646b28d

Kev.

Archived