Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the difference between...

for example, the Evostar 100ED and the Equinox 100 APO? Obviously they come with different goodies attached, but are they actually the same optics with a different focuser and fixed/retractable dew shield etc.?

James

You're absolutely correct. I'd misunderstood some of the text further down the page.

In which case I'm equally at a loss as to find any difference in the optics and to explain why they'd want two separate telescopes which are basically the same product at significantly different prices.

James

I think the Equinox is aimed at those who are looking for the "William Optics" type finish, retractable dewshields, a slightly better crayford focuser etc.

Optically I believe the 100 and the 120 are the same as the ED Pro's. The 80mm Equinox is an F/6 though wheras the ED80 Pro is F/7.5

Optically I believe the 100 and the 120 are the same as the ED Pro's. The 80mm Equinox is an F/6 though wheras the ED80 Pro is F/7.5

These are wonderful refractors. There is a single optical test here:

http://translate.goo...g1PqnEfYj07qzdw

Wolfgang Rohr has also done mutliple tests of the 120/900ED and they have all been excellent.

However I am still slightly sceptical of the claim that "they are the same". These lenses will be tested once assembled and it would make sense to put better units in the more expensive tube, though I have absolutely no evidence for this.

Good to hear that the 120/900ED's are well thought of by Mr Rohr, as the owner of an ED120 Pro :smiley:

However I am still slightly sceptical of the claim that "they are the same". These lenses will be tested once assembled and it would make sense to put better units in the more expensive tube, though I have absolutely no evidence for this.

I can see the logic of what you are saying but I would have thought that Skywatcher would have stipulated this in promoting the Equinox. Companies are not usually slow to highlight the unique selling points of their products. I guess we won't know unless a number of Equinoxes are tested alongside a number of the ED Pro's.

I wonder if the now out of production William Optics Megrez ED 120 used the same optics as the Skywatcher ED 120's ? - it's optical spec was exactly the same.

Whatever the answer to the above is, the ED Pro's and Equinox's are clearly excellent refractors :smiley:

I think I will be going for a 120ED, paying for a new one and possibly an Equinox. Although alot have been sold there are very few that come up for sale. People clearly keep tthem.

I wonder if the now out of production William Optics Megrez ED 120 used the same optics as the Skywatcher ED 120's ? - it's optical spec was exactly the same.

Yup, WO bought in the optics from Synta for the Megrez 120. I got the info from someone who was in the position to know but said don't tell anyone where you got the info from. :lipsrsealed:

John

Sorry John,i stand corrected!

I must of been thinking of św quattro's ive been reading on.

So many scopes to decide... my heads spinning,hoping to upgrade soon and would love to own one of these apo's.

Kenny

Kenny.

Sorry John,i stand corrected!

I must of been thinking of św quattro's ive been reading on.

So many scopes to decide... my heads spinning,hoping to upgrade soon and would love to own one of these apo's.

Kenny

Kenny.

Now you know what spoiled for choice means.

There are so many lovely and fairly reasonably priced APOs available now it can give you a bit of a headache trying to decide. :BangHead:

John

Archived