SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

You've just missed the Transit of Venus...

BinocularSky

... according to the Daily Telegraph, Friday 2012 June 01, page 18, the Transit of Venus occurred early yesterday, several days early and thus we all missed it. Evidently it has not been seen since 1882 so the phenomenon many of us witnessed 2004 must have been a fake. (hat-tip: Bruce Longstaff on WessexAS mailing list)

This kind of thing happens all the time in the media and really shows how inaccurate a lot of journalism is. Once they did a feature at my place of work and the whole article was complete rubbish, it appeared the reporter simply took a picture of the test facility and then explained what he thought was going on ( probably after a google search) and not what the engineers had told him.

... according to the Daily Telegraph, Friday 2012 June 01, page 18, the Transit of Venus occurred early yesterday, several days early and thus we all missed it. Evidently it has not been seen since 1882 so the phenomenon many of us witnessed 2004 must have been a fake. (hat-tip: Bruce Longstaff on WessexAS mailing list)
If only I'd known. Wasted all that time setting up! How did they contrive it, I wonder? Aha! I think I have it! Evidently NASA set up a 1000 TW black laser (probably sited in Area 51), and allowed the beam to slowly sweep across the Sun. The black wavefront precisely interfered with the light wavefront coming from the Sun, causing a dark spot to appear to drift across the Sun's disk.

And they're going to do the same next Wednesday. :)

Have I got that right? :hello2:

If only I'd known. Wasted all that time setting up! How did they contrive it, I wonder? Aha! I think I have it! Evidently NASA set up a 1000 TW black laser (probably sited in Area 51), and allowed the beam to slowly sweep across the Sun. The black wavefront precisely interfered with the light wavefront coming from the Sun, causing a dark spot to appear to drift across the Sun's disk.

And they're going to do the same next Wednesday. :)

Have I got that right? :hello2:

By George I think you have got it!!! Those pesky old chaps @ area 51 are up to their old tricks again I tells ye!

This kind of thing happens all the time in the media and really shows how inaccurate a lot of journalism is. Once they did a feature at my place of work and the whole article was complete rubbish, it appeared the reporter simply took a picture of the test facility and then explained what he thought was going on ( probably after a google search) and not what the engineers had told him.

If they weren't all on the best behaviour then they could have hacked Sir P's phone and got the correct information....

Archived