SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacked M13

jonifive

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got to grips with Deep Sky Stacker, (thanks for the help guys) and stacked my M13.

Does anyone have any idea how to get some colour back into the pic after stacking?

Jonathen

Indeed you did Jonathen, well done.

As Steve said, it gets even better with a bit of 'stretch', so I took the liberty of 'tweaking' it a bit in P/shop, which has brought out a few more of the fainter stars around the cluster.

As for the colour, there isn't really a lot of colour in the 'globs', except maybe a bit towards the yellow, but I think they look just as nice as you have it. Couldn't 'tweak' it as much as I'd like to, as the 'noise' starts to intrude.

Excellent progress JV, and a nice result to show for your efforts.

Dave

post-13389-133877330516_thumb.jpg

:D Thank you!

Phil : You got me started on this, so its your fault if I end up skint and destitute because of the imaging urge. LOL

Helen : Thank you my lovely.....I have a long way to go to catch up with you!!

Steppenwolf : Thanks my friend, I will will be on stellarium tonight to see which galaxy it is.

Dave : thank you again for the support and encouragement, the "tweak in PS" is excellent.

Steve : The original RAWs had a lot of star colouring in them, but I assume DSS just turns them black&white.

Load the lights/darks

dss6.gif

This page is important for RAWs, it determines how light they are after loading (on my 350D, they are 12 bit images, but DSS thinks they are 16 bit, and so are 16 times too darkl. I bump mine up a bit to somewhere around 7)

dss1.gif

Adjust the quality settings (usually 80-90%)

dss2.gif

dss3.gif

dss4.gif

dss5.gif

This is the output image from DSS (I could have bumped up the RAW brighter setting for this one)

m13_dss_out.jpg

This is a very quick poke around in PSCS2

m13_pscs2_out.jpg

HOLY COW BATMAN! :shock:

Nice one Steve, can't wait to get home and try it!!!! Those settings are nothing like mine. :)

Thats great, it is exactly what we all needed, 110% effort there.

Mods, do you think Steves settings should be made into a sticky?

Ta

Jonathen (I promise I won't be a pest anymore!) :D

Ok here is my version of M13 stacked with steveL's settings. I think it is a lot better. But maybe I didn't have enough colour in the original subs for it to appear in the final pic, or my version of DSS really hates me.

1002_thumbnail.png

(click to enlarge)

Anyway, I do think that this type of pic adjustment should be called the "SteveL Manoeuvre" after the DSS Ninja himself!!!!

JV

By the way I couldn't find the faint galaxy (top right) at all in Stellarium or Starrynight....any ideas?

Jon, I think you might be loosing colour through saturating the stars. Are you using levels to brighten up the image? I suspect you are moving the white point over to the left to brighten things up. This will kill your colour. What software are you using to process?

When I first tooks globs, I was taking 20-30 seconds per sub, and the colours remained because I wasnt oversaturating the raws. The second time, I was trying to get more info, but oversaturated the subs to the point where the stars were white... bright white. If you have large stars and they are completely white, you have lost any finer detail that was there. For globs, lots of short subs seems to be the way to go. It all about not oversaturating the bits you are after.

Martin & Steve.

I gave the stacked image the tiniest tweak in Photoshop. Levels and curves only, and literally only a small amount. I think the problem with the colour is the original subs.

Regardless, I'm please with the final result and am itching to get out and do more :D But tonight I am going to play with DSS.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Archived