Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 127 GoTo Mak or 102 GoTo Refractor?

Just a bit of advice guys.

Given the choice which one of the above would you buy?

I have the choice of either or the Celestron equivalent.

I'm into all round astronomy and like to view a wide variety of objects and my girlfriend likes the planets and the moon.

Which would give us the best all round views?

I know ideally I need 2 or 3 different telescopes but can't afford that so it's one of the above as I need it compact enough for the OTA to go as hand luggage on airlines.

Cheers all.

I would go for the Skywatcher 127 Maksutov and I have the black one and its amazing and the planets and the moon are breathtaking, Skywatcher and Celestron are the same company btw. Good Luck :( Matt :) :)

I have a 102 'frac (ST102) and a 127 Mak and given the choice between the two (which I do sometimes make, as I take a scope whenever possible when we go away) it would be the Mak every time.

James

I had the same dilemma - so ended up getting the 102 on a GOTO, and the 127 tube only as it fits the same mount.

They have their respective uses, and the 102 is ideal for 'piggybacking' my camera...

I have the Celestron 127 mak and have not been disappointed with it's performance, great for lunar and planetery viewing and the brighter DSO's e.g. m42. Taking one as hand luggage though i think i would check the weight allowance as it is not a light scope:)

clear skies, Den.

Hi Jon, the goto mounts are pretty much the same (same company), as for the database i wouldn't worry about it, because of the 4000+ objects listed the 127 mak cannot see all of them so it is really not an issue.

clear skies, Den.

Archived