Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another EP's what get

Itabot

Hi first time out last night with my new SW 200p Dob delivered 1st May due to ever present clouds, reasonable hazy view of Saturn, no detail still really impressive, using stock 10mm and 25mm eye pieces, 10mm poor as expected, 25mm seemed ok.

Wanting to start a better eyepiece collection read The Worthog’s and Robin’s excellent eyepiece guides. Going round in circles, for visual only, I fancy BST’s, Tal x2 Barlow and a 32mm. Assuming the supplied 25mm is worth sticking with, don’t know which to get now and which to get later or what make 32mm to get to make up a good complete all round collection.

Any help in deciding would be greatly appreciated.

Well i have the same scope, and pretty quickly got an 8mm BST and love it. It is just about the limit of magnification on most nights. It's super comfortable to use, and is my workhorse for planetary and globs.

A couple of weeks ago i got a 31mm hyperion aspheric after trying one at my astro group. Amazing eyepiece, cant recommend it enough. Same for the tal 2x.

The 25 and 10 that come with the scope are "good enough", i've actually had some decent views through the 10 so maybe i just got lucky and got a good one.

I'm pretty happy with just the couple of EPS that i have. I find myself drawn towards a mid power, which will likely be a 12-18mm bst or something, though i'm not sure it'd get much use...

there will be much advice from far more qualified peeps than me. but as a newbie myself ,i found a low power e/p the best purchase first. great for bright wide field views ,and helps as a finder too. i bought a 32mm meade 4000 eyepiece for about £20 of flea bay and its been in the most used so far .

so id go for a low power e/p . then later go for a barlow or a good high power e/p.

It might be worth investing in a mid eyepiece - perhaps a 15mm that will nicely bridge the gap in your collection. using a barlow, this will also give you the same view as a 7.5mm. The explorer BSTs are excellent value, and produce nice clear images. I have no experience with the Tal barlow, though it seems to get very positive reviews here at SGL.

Paul - I am trying to decide between your 2 suggestions - GSP 32mm or Vix NPL 30mm.

DO I take it from your post you feel the GSO is better?

Presume both will have a filter thread for my Neo filter?

If anyone has opinions between them would be interested, particularly to go with a TAL2 to give me 15/16 as well.

Hi Itabot, my first purchase was the PanaView 32mm 2" ep and it is superb with the 200P, cracking views of wide field. Otherwise the best value for money out there is the BST Explorers/StarGuiders as has been mentioned above, a huge improvement on what you already have, I would recommend the 8mm and the 18mm to start with, although the 12mm is also a good all-round mid-field ep.

Hi Itabot, a great choice, you'll be impressed with the sheer build quality of these ep's, and also Alan at the Sky's the Limit is a great guy to deal with. BTW, they have a twist-up eyecup which is also very useful.

Archived