Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bins or a small scope?

I've been thinking about getting some bigger binos (I have 10x50s), I'd almost decided on the Revelations 15x70, but got thinking perhaps a small refractor would be better . . .

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-tabletop-telescope.html or similar.

I would like something portable and simple to setup, any ideas would be great thanks :)

You probably cant get more simple than this,

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

And the viewing will be much better than the small 80mm refractor.

When you are on a tight budget try and buy something with a mirror in it, you will get much more for your money.

A couple of reviews on this scope... http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=189978

I recently got an ST80 (I got the kit with a full tripod) partly because I really struggle with binos. It doesn't have the aperture of a similarly priced newt/dob but it gives me a lowest mag of x16 with the supplied eyepieces which makes it really easy to use for widefield stuff. As I've said in posts elsewhere it's not ideal for planetary etc but I knew that. I'm really enjoying it though and glad I got it. It came on an EQ mount but I don't bother polar aligning it, so it really is simple to use and easy to carry.

Of course that's just my experience, and if you already use binos maybe you're looking for more of a step up than the ST80? But I love mine :(

I have tried big(ish) bins - 15x70s and although they were very good I found them intensely uncomfortable to use. I sold them and bought a small refractor (90mm) and quickly got bored with the (OK rather nice!) wide field views which lacked depth, and the eyepiece was at the wrong end for me! I decided then that I'd not generally observe with anything less than 6" of aperture as there's really no need. I'd also suggest a 6" dob. Cannot get more comfortable, easy to observe and decent aperture (with a relatively slow focal ratio - that's a good thing) and the eyepiece is at the right end! Yes, I am biased towards dobs but there are plenty that don't like them too.

Personally, I'd suggest you try and get to a shop or star party where you can see some scopes in the flesh and maybe even use one or two before you decide.

Get a small scope.

Don't care which but in general terms you do astronomy with a scope.

I disagree, In general you do astronomy with your eyes. bins are great for wide viewing they are very portable and reasonably cheap the ultimate take anywhere grab and go. For planets though you definitely need a scope to see anything worthwhile.

Thanks all.

It's the portability I want more than anything, I'd been looking about at large bins but then thought, why not get a small scope? It will possibly give me better views than the bins, not cost much more and most importantly be almost as portable.

It depends to some extent what you enjoy observing. For wide field viewing, open clusters etc you can't beat binoculars, but they run out of steam in terms of magnification quite quickly.

I love my binos for quick sessions when I don't want to get my scope out, but personally (and these are all personal opinions after all) I think if your binos are big enough to need a tripod and the associated setup time, you may as well have a scope.

I can set my 66mm frac up in minutes and it gives lovely widefield views, yet still has the ability to show planets reasonably - enough to show detail and the GRS on Jupiter at opposition.

So, I would probably get a 70 or 80mm reasonable quality refractor on a stable tripod with a few reasonable eyepieces. This will give you portability plus a good range of capability.

You however shouldn't dismiss the suggestion of the Heritage 130. I have never used one but it gets very good reviews on here, is portable, folds down for storage and has a bigger aperture to give better capabilities. A good starter scope, and you already have the binos for general scanning of the skies.

Will stop rambling now :(

Stu

You have the bins already and bigger ones will give a similar experience. For a new experience a scope would be good. Dobs give the best view per pound sterling if they are portable enough for you.

Olly

I did a quick review of my observations for the last three months and realised that three quarters of the objects I have seen have been with my 10x50 bins. I had a go with a friends 20x80 bins the other night and I was impressed how much more detail they reveal, so I think bigger bins are definitely a worthwhile addition to the 10x50s.

If, however, you think a small scope is the way to go then think about the mount. My 90mm Mak is very light and portable, but the EQ1 mount is a serious bit of bulk and weight to carry around. Maybe an alt-az mount would be more portable.

I do like my little Mak, for views of the planets it is brilliant. It's also good for looking at doubles. But I do like the views of open clusters in the bins. So it's not a simple choice, unless you can have both.

I skipped the bins really. Had one look at the moon and decided that It was jumping around too much for observations. So yes, I think a small scope would be better. I have a Sky-Watcher SK707AZ2 but the Heritage dobsonian would be better.

If, however, you think a small scope is the way to go then think about the mount. My 90mm Mak is very light and portable, but the EQ1 mount is a serious bit of bulk and weight to carry around. Maybe an alt-az mount would be more portable.

I've been wondering this myself, since I use my EQ1 basically as an alt-az anyway having no i terest in astrophotography yet.

You have the bins already and bigger ones will give a similar experience. For a new experience a scope would be good. Dobs give the best view per pound sterling if they are portable enough for you.

Olly

Good point, so for starters I've got the heritage 130 on the way. (most probably followed by a few weeks of clouds!!) The 10x50s are ok so that upgrade can wait.

Archived