NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mono QHY5 for AP

Gina

I have a QHY5 that I use for guiding and wondered how well it would work as an imaging camera. OK I know I can try it myself but not until we get some clear skies! Meanwhile I'd like to have any views from those who have tried it. I'm planning to get a Baader LRGB filter set to go with it and could buy that now if this combination is a viable option. Of course I'd have to go unguided as I obviously can't use it for two things at once. I think it might make quite a good planetary imaging camera but not sure about DSOs - I think it's more like a webcam than an astro CCD camera with long exposure capabilities.

I'm thinking of going for the 1.25" LRGB filter set rather than anything bigger as I won't be able to afford a large format cooled CCD astro camera when I eventually do save up for one. Anyone know how big an image sensor could be used with 1.25" filters?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :clouds2:

In the Atik Range only the 383 (although it can be done according to some) and 11000 have to have 2" filters, you do need to get the 1.25" as close to the ccd chip as possible though. It seem atik are assisting this with making the chip depth a little less on the new generation.

I've used my QHY5v (smaller sensor) for lunar and planetary imaging. I have used 1.25" filters with it (wratten filters, as that's all I had at the time £1.25 each from AstroBoot :clouds2:), although, as I didn't have a wheel at the time, changing them was a real faff. I now have a wheel and a set of QHY imaging filters, but haven't had a chance to try them.

I have used mine for some luna imaging, but not with a set of rbg filters for colour. I think it makes quite a capable little cam for luna and don't see why it wouldn't work for planets too.

Here's what I managed, this was a 28 frame mosaic using the QHY5 and a skywatcher 6" reflector.

4532075443_e2b655a36d_z.jpg

The QHY5 has a rolling shutter, a part of the sensor is captured at a time so you can get some oddities due to seeing across the frames etc, whereas the 5v has a global shutter, and the entire sensor is captured at the same time, this is sposed to be a better method.

Gina,

I think the images show the QHY5 capabilities on the planets etc and the long exposures will certainly bring out some of the DSO.

Just need to watch your image scale

CCDCalc will do that for you.

Vignetting/ chip size with 1.25" filters

Two variable you need to select:

the fratio and the distance from the filter to the CCD chip.

In the Atik Range only the 383 (although it can be done according to some) and 11000 have to have 2" filters, you do need to get the 1.25" as close to the ccd chip as possible though. It seem atik are assisting this with making the chip depth a little less on the new generation.
Sounds good - thank you :clouds2:

I've used my QHY5v (smaller sensor) for lunar and planetary imaging. I have used 1.25" filters with it (wratten filters, as that's all I had at the time £1.25 each from AstroBoot :clouds2:), although, as I didn't have a wheel at the time, changing them was a real faff. I now have a wheel and a set of QHY imaging filters, but haven't had a chance to try them.
The QHY5v is a totally different beastie from the QHY5. I'm making my own filter wheel.

I have used mine for some luna imaging, but not with a set of rbg filters for colour. I think it makes quite a capable little cam for luna and don't see why it wouldn't work for planets too.

Here's what I managed, this was a 28 frame mosaic using the QHY5 and a skywatcher 6" reflector.

4532075443_e2b655a36d_z.jpg

That's a great moon image :clouds2: Thank you :icon_scratch:

Can you use the QHY5 for imaging? I thought it was only the QHY5v that you could use???

If you can then How? id be interested to know

PHD produces an image for it's own use which it displays and it integrates over a period which you can set in the software. The supplied software also produces images but although I've used it to check the alignment of my ST80 guide scope, I haven't yet checked out all the facilities.

Here's a couple I've done with my QHY5, from a few months back

Jupiter:

6777755891_5e50c30c0a_b.jpg

and Venus, which I think has managed to show up some of the cloud patterns:

6777755563_904554d0cd.jpg

And this guy here has taken some passable DSOs with a QHY5: http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=2307.0

Here's one of them:

1278931045.jpg

Those are good images - thank you :clouds2:

Yup, I used the QGvideo and registack and stitched it together with MS Ice (I think).
Thank you :clouds2: Yes, I was thinking of using QGVideo and Registax for planetary imaging.

I didnt know that. Thanks for that. By the looks of it Gina it could be i nice little camera for you to use.
Yes, I'm hoping so :clouds2:

The QHY5 has a rolling shutter, a part of the sensor is captured at a time so you can get some oddities due to seeing across the frames etc, whereas the 5v has a global shutter, and the entire sensor is captured at the same time, this is sposed to be a better method.
Yes, that's true - could be a problem - have to see. Thank you :clouds2:

I've regularly used the original QHY5 under AA5 for extended exposures....I only do spectroscopy but it works pretty well.....
That's interesting - thank you :clouds2:

Gina,

I think the images show the QHY5 capabilities on the planets etc and the long exposures will certainly bring out some of the DSO.

Yes, looking hopeful :clouds2:
Just need to watch your image scale

CCDCalc will do that for you.

Vignetting/ chip size with 1.25" filters

Two variable you need to select:

the fratio and the distance from the filter to the CCD chip.

Archived