NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

One does not simply walk into astronomy (Or The Great Quest for Optical Satisfaction)

So, the time has come.

As a little kid, I could stare at the nightsky for hours. Every lunar eclipse I dragged my parents to the nearest planetarium. There was a wall with important data of the Solar system, which I copied with pen and paper. These were the days when the internet was a distant dream, yet to be realized in the real world. Books with static content were the best one could get.

So many years later. I've got a job, a bit of disposible income , a beautiful daughter and some free time. The time has come to pick up that old hobby again and take it to the next level. Finally, I'm going to buy my very own telescope.

So far for the poetry. If you're with me, please read further and be part of the fellowship that will search for the right scope for me.

So I learned all about different types of scopes, apertures, F-numbers and so on. I went to one a store where the owner knows a lot about this stuff (he even builds his own scopes). So far, I made the following conclusions:

- I want to focus on deepsky, but a quick visit to Jupiter or Saturn should be part of every sighting.

- I don't really care about astrophotography.

- I live in a moderately LP'd area. When I drive about 90 kms, I'm at the darkest place in Belgium. I drive a Berlingo, so I can transport some equipment.

- I don't want to buy second-hand.

- No Go-To. I want to learn everything old-skool. A tracking motor could be added afterwards.

- Budget will be around 500 €, accesories included.

After concideration, I think there are 3 candidates left:

- Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian.

- Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

- Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2

Option 1 gives me more aperture for the money (the Explorer 200 would be too expensive), but the need for a flat surface and no possibility of adding a motor afterwards is a negative.

Option 2 looks great because of the Equatorial mount, I find that a good way of learning 'the real deal'. I'm worried about the aperture though (will I regret it afterwards?) and the risk of coma considering the relative low F number.

Option 3 is about the same price as option 2, but should give some better quality (less coma etc) for the same price. Am I right when I think that 3 is better for planetwatching than 2? The larger size should not be a problem for transport, but will the EQ3-2 be sufficient?

I know that these are n00b questions, that they have been answered lots of times on the forums. Sorry for asking them again ;) But I want to buy something that will be satisfactory for some years.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go for the dobsonian, flat surface is not a must, its easy to set up, and has a very decent apreture, the views will be much better than through those smaller scopes. The viewing position at the eyepiece is very comfortable. Lack of the motor drive is really not an issue, even in high magnifications. It's very intuitive to slew it around, all you need is a gentle nudge.

'Satisfactory for some years' is subjective, I started out with a NexStar 4SE, then added a NexImage webcam for solar system stuff.

That was in 2009, now I am looking to upgrade to a C9.25 for better imaging and DSO.

If you decide later that you want to try imaging you will find it harder with a Dob, if you are sticking to visual and sketching then a Dob will still work for you.

While dobs are 'cheaper' per inch than other systems buying a 10" will result in a fairly heavy & bulky system. If you are happy and able to carry it then go ahead.

GoTo is useful in that you can tell the scope to find a new object while you pop inside to put the kettle on. GoTo is a bit misleading in my experience, they are more of a 'go somewhere near'.

'GoTo is a bit misleading in my experience, they are more of a 'go somewhere near'.

Love that quote !

the dobs are probably the most recommended scope on here ...

Good luck with your choice

Based on what you require, there seems no reason to go for an equatorial mount. It's no more the real deal than an alt/az. The 250 Dob sounds great. The focal ratio is lower than option 2, which you mention as having fast optics. Yes, it's a touch on the fast side, but it's not crazy. I have a 10" f/4.7 and use it happily enough without a coma corrector. Although it must be said the corrector makes a significant difference.

The only reason for having a drive is to track (it sounds like you'd enjoy finding stuff yourself with a chart). You can add an equatorial platform in future, which which will allow for tracking without adding drives to the scope.

Hi there cartman,

up until today I was in a similar possition to you:icon_scratch:.

posted a help me question on this forum and now my mind is as clear as a bell. ;)

going for the 150P myself but on a motorised eq5 mount. I have read a number of times that the eq3-2 is fine with the 150p. primarily chose this mount because I can stick another scope on it for just the price of the ota.

this site http://www.12dstring.me.uk/foveyepiece.php?aperture=150&flength=750&telescope=Skywatcher+Explorer-150P will give you an approximation of the differences. (been posted many times here don't know the original poster but thanks:))

As far as I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the 150P is more suited to deep sky viewing and the 150PL for planets/AP.

On the question of LP, I live in a very light polluted area and have been assured by two forum members who live in my area that the SW130 and SW200 scopes work well under these conditions so I'm gussing the 150s will too.

Having said all that people do keep telling me to buy a dob and the general wisdom seems to be the more appature the better. Just think there are more upgrade paths with the eqs (there's the computer geek in my talking!:eek:)

Good luck with your choice, let us know how you get on.

Dom

These links might help you make an informed decision:

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/astronomy/astro21/sandt/startright.html

http://www.astro-baby.com/articles/beginners%20guide%20to%20buying%20a%20telescope/so%20you%20want%20to%20buy%20a%20telescope.htm

And these cover some great scopes for the first time buyer:

http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/Sky-Watcher%20130PM/Sky-Watcher%20130PM%20Review.htm

http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/Sky-Watcher%20200P/sky-watcher%20200P%20HEQ5.htm

http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/nexstar%204SE/nexstar4se.htm

http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/TAL%20100RS/TAL%20100RS%20Review.htm

Hope this helps.

If you stick with this hobby, I imagine the OTA will come and go, but hopefully the mount will remain with you a longer time. So if I were you, I'd also focus a little on a sturdy mount which will be sufficient if you upgrade.

The other thing is, the cost of this hobby doesn't really rest with merely the purchase of an OTA and mount. In time you will probably need other eyepieces, perhaps a case for them and your OTA and mount, maybe a Telrad, a red light torch, an atlas or two, some cleaning liquid and gentle cloth for the eyepiece, and so on.

So, understand that little by little, perhaps within the space of 6 months or so, your original purchase of just an OTA and mount will probably double.

For my first scope I brought a refractor and wonder what a reflector would be like. But I know if I had brought a reflector, I would have wondered what that the Tal refractor was really like. Such is life.

In the end, go for what your heart says.

Good luck and clear skies to you.

Bit embarassing, but I just saw that I typed "Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian" while I meant "Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. Probably a difference :-/

I'm still confused. I was just thinking about tossing some extra Euro's in the jar, and going for a Explorer 200P (EQ5). Would give me the advantage of larger aperture, but it would keep the possibility open for adding a tracking motor etc... (EDIT: 35 kgs :-$)

Boy, this is one of the most difficult choices of the last few years :-D

As a newbie looking for a scope myself I understand the allure of apperture however one of the most quoted sayings on the forum is 'the best scope is the one you use most' Big, heavy difficult to set up scopes are less used than small 'grab and goes'. Another quote I have seen often is 'Gallieo only had a 31/2" scope'

The 200p was my immediate choice but decided to go with the 150p as a compromise of apperture vs portability / ease of use. If I get on with it then I will probably upgrade to the 200p.

Besides the cash you save will allow you to buy some EPs (all reviews I have read of SW scopes say the supplied EPs are none to good and the 10mm practically useless), a comma corrector and a collimator.

Good Luck

I second that SmokeyJoe. Some good EP's seem an absolute necessity. Dob-fans will point out that the money you save on the mount, can be invested in some good EP's. And convenience (size/weight) is priceless.

I have nothing against Dobs, but they feel somewhat strange to me. I always thought it would be far more convenient to keep track of objects on an EQ mount.

I still got some time to let thinks process somewhere in the back of my head. The scope'll be bought when the vacation bonus at work is paid, somewhere around the end of the month or so.

The 200p Dob is one of the most highly recommended scopes on here:), If you have no interest in Astrophotography I can't think of a good enough case for the the smaller aperture scope on an EQ mount, I recken its the 200p Dob hands down. Also its well within your budget which would leave some money for a cheshire collumnator and a couple of nice eyepieces:)

- I live in a moderately LP'd area. When I drive about 90 kms, I'm at the darkest place in Belgium.

After concideration, I think there are 3 candidates left:

- Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian.

- Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

- Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2

Firstly, there is a dark spot in Belgium?

Mind blown.

;)

I have a 150PL and I love it, the EQ 3-2 is a bit light weight and if you can stretch your budget to a bigger mount then do it. But if AP is not your thing the mount is adequate for visual use and use the money for a good eyepiece or two. One of the best purchases I made was getting a Baader Hyperion Zoom, it changes more than you would expect.

From everything I have come across the 150P is much better suited to the mount and to deep space objects but I have never used one to really comment.

Same with the dob but then the bigger arpeture will give better views of the planets.

Tough call.

Hi Cartman,

If you want to know what is involved with an EQ mount there is a really good site here : http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/index.php?title=Setting_Up_an_Equatorial_Mount

(posted in the Primers and Tutorials section - thanks Mic:icon_salut:)

Everything from putting it together, through polar alignment to star hopping and good first targets.

Dob seems to be the thing most here recommend. and appature is king in my opinion. large dobs are value for money too....the larger the better as they say, we cannot see things because they are far away, but because they are dim!

Therefore, I like many of the other folk here would recommend the 250mm dob and a star atlas. after all, if you want at some time in the future buy an EQ mount ,,,ya can ;)

'Gallieo only had a 31/2" scope'

But he also thought Saturn had ears ;)

Dob sounds the best choice unless you can go that little extra for the 200 on EQ5 :eek:

I don't really care about astrophotography.

That doesn't actually say you are not interested in AP and will not be at a later date.

Accessories, allow 200 euro - collimator and 2-3 eyepieces.

Going to supply reasons for the things you have decided against:

No tracking - do you know how fast objects disappear out of view ? Without tracking then in effect only you observe. If you hand over to another person expect the object to have gone during the change over.

No goto - in the worst case could you buy a scope and be OK to not locate DSO's for the first few months? Read this a few times for prople who have given up. You will not be driving 90km every time you decide to observe, so locating anything from your home may be very difficult, a goto would help.

To learn the sky I suggest a book, laser pointer and binoculars, but not a telescope. A scope confirms that you have learnt where something is. Subtle difference.;)

For either of the 150's I suggest an EQ5, simply more stable, prefer the 150PL myself.

I've been living with an auto 300P Dob for the last 9 months. I've spent a few quid on 2 inch EP's but my conclusion is that it's fantastic. I do use the auto an awful lot, even if it's just to keep the object centred. Go with the Dob and you won't be disappointed.

Archived