NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm sure you lot have all had this...

Mansnake

Yesterday i'm talking to my uncle at work and hes always had telescopes for visual observing but has now decided to get into AP.

So this morning i brought him in a copy of the astro-photographers bible (Making every photon count) for him to read before he decides what to get etc...

Im having a coffee before i start work and a colleague of mine walks in, see's the book and says "So your into Astrology then..." :)

When I changed jobs last year I had a leaving do. My old employer learned that I was into astronomy. I got a leaving present from the boss: some editions of an astrology mag. arrgghhh.

Haha thats pretty good.

Perhaps it's just a case of folk confusing words, a tad of ignorance, so to say.

I don't think that has got anything to do with it. I have had people saying that to me for years along with can you predict my future and all that stuff. I don't mind it can be quite fun. I honestly believe that there is a lot of people that genuinely do not know the difference. Why would they, an awful lot of people live in a three dimensional space that is only around 6 feet high.

:)

i would imagine thousands of years ago they were linked and studied under one and the same. humans have always looked up at the skies trying to understand .

but people shouldnt confuse them in this day and age.

i think for the most part its ignorance of the word itself. i used to get them mixed up when i was younger.

i would imagine thousands of years ago they were linked and studied under one and the same. humans have always looked up at the skies trying to understand .

but people shouldnt confuse them in this day and age.

i think for the most part its ignorance of the word itself. i used to get them mixed up when i was younger.

They did in Renaissance times for sure, they were taught side by side and there was no divide between them

I have not yet divulged my interest in astronomy to colleagues on the basis that I would be bombarded with 'Uranus' jokes. I may, however, one day expose my interest in solar observing, no need to use the word 'astronomy' but no doubt they would still try... the joke would be on them though as attempts to link the sun with Uranus jokes should be very easily dismissed.

Seems that the only time I see the sun at the moment is a fleeting gap in the clouds while I'm at work, I may take my solar telescope with me one day and set up in the car park.

foundaplanet: "an awful lot of people live in a three dimensional space that is only around 6 feet high."

Good way to sum it up. Yes, a 6 foot high sphere of reality TV and Eastenders. Tell me about it...

-"wow look up there, the moon is totally blocking out the sun and we have a total eclipse, see the corona up there...?"

-"yeah whatever, I don't like the dark, they should put some floodlights on so I can see what I'm doing down here. You astrology nutters spend time looking into space while we've got more important things to do like make ends meet. By the way, what time is the repeat of X-factor on again?"

sanmatt: "But now when I talk of astronomy I am almost embarrassed to say the word in case people assume I am meaning astrology."

Yes Yes Yes!

me too.

But I can't use the term 'stargazer' either, because people might think I look at stars. Gazing at single featureless white dots in the sky, you would indeed need to have a screw loose to enjoy that. If anyone can think of a better term to use then I'd be very interested!

Perhaps it's just a case of...ignorance, so to say.
I don't think that has got anything to do with it.

That's very interesting. So, if ignorance doesn't help explain the curious event of folk confusing astrology with astronomy, what, then, would you suggest gives rise to the phenomenon?

Archived