SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M106 most detailed image ever made... (35 megapixels)

Avdhoeven

Here is the final result of my M106 hubble processing. Unfortunately the F435W and F814W data were not clean enough to generate a good color image. So I decided to combine the Hubble data with groundbased data.

This is comparable with what was done with the famous Eta Carina image of Hubble where also groundbased data was used for the color information.

The luminance image was made using the F555W ACS data of project ID 11570 of Adam Riess. 14 images were used to create the mosaic.

For the color data a ground based image made with a 20'' telescope at Kitt Peak was used. This image was used with the kind permission of Adam Block.

Credit color layer: Adrian Zsilavec and Michelle Qualls/Adam Block/NOAO/AURA/NSF

Full resolution is here: Zoom.it ? Image R3vf

7116469823_9055532b3d_b.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now.. forget hiring time on telescopes.. this is remote AP.. :)

Oh yes.. I think your mount polar alignment is out a little.. possibly a bit of star masking would help reduce the size of the stars... lol :)

POTW?

Stunning, I wonder if I can get images like this with my modded 1100d lol
You might need a barlow... or maybe a powermate :).

There's some beautiful processing in this - Excellent work! I wonder how much more "lost" data there is those archives just waiting to be processed...?

Grand scheme of things space related, that's pretty darn close :)

True... I read somewhere yesterday that Hubble was approved in 1968 but didn't launch until 1990. JWST has been planned since 1996, so 2018 does add up actually!

Answering my own question, it seems the JWST will cover the long wavelength end of the visible spectrum, starting at around 600nm which is in the middle of the "orange" band.

James

I thought JWST was an IR telescope? Does it do visible light, too?

James

It's mirrors are gold so absorb the blue light I think : but yes it's primarily an IR scope.

Doesn't stop images like this being created (by Spitzer)

sig11-016_Sm.jpg

JWST makes Spitzer look like a toy :)

Is it good or bad that Hubble has not enough data to make a good colour image. Does that give us hope, or depress us? What hope is there for us. Although this pic shows that the ground based data is very good too.

Tom.

That is one nice picture. Had a look at the full size picture and zoomed in on what was almost impossible small stars given the size of the picture. No doubt the raw data is of high quality, the processing just makes it incredible.

Archived