Peak Star Party 2012

I'll be there, also on my own. The other half doesn't really do camping :D. Nothing sad about it, we are all there for the stars, it's a great event and everyone is very approachable.

Stu

I would have thought that MOST people that attend star parties are on their own. Its not often (i dont think) that a couple have a shared interest in astronomy.

In saying that, there does seem to be quite a large number of members here who are couples that share the same hobby. Maybe only one half is a member but the other half has an interest.

It can be very useful going by yourself because you pick and mix who you talk to and what you talk about without feeling that are towing someone else around with you who might want to do something different. The other thing is, you are more likely to share in the views and participate in what others are looking at etc if you are on your own which is all part and parcel of the camaraderie which you experience at these star parties. I have got a lot of enjoyment observing what other people are looking at and the knowledge that goes with it and its a good way of making new friends over a few tins - especially when the clouds come in! The only problem is trying to match the 'voice' you were speaking to with the face the next day.:):D

Having said that, it is very useful coming back into your tent freezing cold at 4 am in the morning, having already got someone else to warm the bed up for you :D(...would like to stress, I am referring here to my other half and not a fellow observer!:):D:D) and to make you breakfast/lunch when you finally emerge at around 11:30am! - I'm such a romantic!

James

Having said that, it is very useful coming back into your tent freezing cold at 4 am in the morning, having already got someone else to warm the bed up for you

Oh you are gonna get slaughtered by the females here for that comment.

To be honest i am not sure if star parties/observing buddies are for me. All of my life i have observed alone and really do enjoy the peace and quiet and being at one with the universe. I would hate that to be broken by other voices or lots or movement around me.

I guess i wont know til i try it.

I love the idea of gathering with likeminded people and chatting but in practice..................it may not suit me.

I like to lead a dangerous life! My other half is pretty understanding regarding astronomy and the occasional need to do a late night dash off to a dark site for some observing (...should rephrase that, sound like I'm a member of the Kennel Club!:)) or to avoid a family do because the weather has changed.

It's interesting that you like to observe alone. It seems there are two observing camps in astronomy, those that like the solitude and others who like the company of others. It is of course down to personal preference but I suppose star parties are slightly different in that they are also social events. When the weather plays along at these events, a few consistent nights observing does help improve the knowledge, especially is you occasionally share in the views. I observe regularly with some friends and we have established some informal ground rules about the amount of chat but to be honest we end up settling down to our own thing. Mind you, there's nothing quite like sharing a good coffee and some grub in the early hours with your chums trying to work out what all the wildlife noises are that are going on around us.

Paul I would recommend that you try a star party at least once, I'm sure you would enjoy it and people would benefit from your knowledge - it's also a good laugh too, especially when those pesky clouds start sneaking in and sherry starts coming out.:D

James

Having said that, it is very useful coming back into your tent freezing cold at 4 am in the morning, having already got someone else to warm the bed up for you

Oh you are gonna get slaughtered by the females here for that comment.

To be honest i am not sure if star parties/observing buddies are for me. All of my life i have observed alone and really do enjoy the peace and quiet and being at one with the universe. I would hate that to be broken by other voices or lots or movement around me.

I guess i wont know til i try it.

I love the idea of gathering with likeminded people and chatting but in practice..................it may not suit me.

This female on here gets her hubby to warm up the bed for me each winter night despite being in a centrally heated house!

Being a relative newbie (only a year and a half of observing through a scope) I haven't yet attended a star party but would be quite keen to do so. I'm quite mixed when I'm observing. Some nights I absolutely love being out on my own, tinkering with kit and contemplating life and the universe. Some nights however I love sharing the sights, having a chat and a coffee so either drag the other half out or invite friends. This lends me to thinking I'd probably enjoy the comaraderie of a star party and would hopefully learn plenty from experienced astronomers too!

The one thing that worries me about a star party however, and this may be a stupid comment so please forgive me, is equipment. By this I mean the lack of it. I've heard people say star parties are for serious astronomers and imagers and I worry I may be shunned with my relatively naked scope. Perhaps some people who have been to star parties could dispel this idea? I'm hopefully worried over nothing.

nobody should worry about stuffiness when it comes to star parties. without exception I have not met anyone not friendly and approachable no matter what your situation. the only exception to this is when you don't follow the basic rules of star parties. broadly :

no lights other than dim red ones and definitely no lasers (includes mobiles)

don't look through/touch a scope unless you ask

don't approach anyone that's obviously engrossed in imaging or observing. wait for them to look away etc and they'll no doubt notice you and invite you over

other than this it's pretty much common sense you'll love it.

Beardy, look what you've started - its all your fault!:D:D

Marine Bio, no matter what size of equipment you have, there's always someone, somewhere who has got a bigger one:eek: Seriously, that is not a consideration you have to worry about, you'll be spending half your time looking through everybody else's scope anyway! What counts is enthusiasm, be it asking questions, an eagerness to learn and just getting stuck in. Doing astronomy is what its all about with what ever is at hand and star parties are a way of immersing yourself for a couple of days/nights in doing what you enjoy without the hassle of setting up each time. The real concern you should have attending these events is making sure you keep warm during the night and that you have a comfortable bed arrangement when you go back to you tent! Would definitely give it a go.

James

Archived