NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Information to provide when asking "Which scope"

The forum gets a lot of newbies asking which scope to buy and also questions from people looking to upgrade the setups and which way to go. I thought it might be useful if a guide was provided as to the basic information which should be provided along with these questions, in order for everyone to give an informed answer. Basically a check list of items so their questions can be answered more easily and accurately, without having to ask the same things each time. Some ideas are below (all optional) and if useful, maybe it could be a sticky in the Beginners Help section.

1) Do you want to use your scope visually, for imaging or both (what is the priority)?

2) Do you want the scope to find objects automatically or learn the sky and find them yourself?

3) Once objects are found, do you want the scope to track the object or manually track it yourself?

4) What do you want to look at or image; planets, galaxies, nebulas, sun, moon or stars?

5) If you want to look at or image galaxies and DSOs, do you want to see the larger brighter ones or small and dim ones?

6) If interested in imaging, do you have any imaging equipment currently (eg, DSLR, webcam)?

7) How long to you want to spend setting up the scope (eg. 20mins, 45mins, >1hour)?

8) Do you want the scope to be relatively maintainance free, or one that needs adjusting from time to time?

9) Do you want a portable setup than can be carried long distances, one that can be carried short distances, one that has to be dismantled to be moved or a fixed setup?

10) How much do you want to spend?

11) What is your experience in astronomy?

12) What is your technical ability and are you confident with computers and software?

13) What is the light pollution like in your area?

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Any other questions to add?

cheers

I think this is a great idea. All newbies can be referred to the 'sticky' to fill in the form, thus clarifying their own position and making it easier for the experts to reply. I will sleep on this (4am now) and will try to offer a few more questions to ask. But in itself, great work, sgazer.

I think it is a good idea to have some questions for beginners to supply answers to. The ones you suggest seem reasonable. I also think that questions on their own may not be that useful to someone who doesn't know very much. For instance most beginners come here saying that they want to take up imaging, without realizing what's involved. We then explain and many decide they would rather leave the idea on back-burner and start with visual. So I think these questions should come with some level of information. e.g. a link to explain what imaging involves. This would allow the answers provided to made with some level of understanding.

I'd remove question 8.

On the light pollution question: I've often seen beginners get confused between direct light pollution and sky glow. There seems to be an assumption that if there are no direct lights in the area then there is little light pollution. So we should have a link to explain sky glow. Have the UK light pollution map and show how it relates to the Bortle scale. There are links out there for that stuff.

A good proposition that would be handy, although might it be a little off putting to some possibly [?], to go through 'customs' as it where.:)

Maybe a link to what ever they are interested in (like the old books you used to get) 'tree form' I suppose.

I.e Do you like Planetary?

If yes go here.. < link to dobs for instance> at the end would be another option to go 'GOTO' etc

Or carry on, till a somewhat decision has been made on their behalf?

I can see what you are saying though, people (including me!) want to see/photograph everything with one scope and it can't be done.:rolleyes:

Good point raised

Indeed, there's enough to confuse as it is. So often seen (to me anyway) are the 'whizz bang' see it all 'tourist' that get hooked off TV etc then expect everything.. sounds harsh but I find it hard to watch em buy all the kit -have a look- get bored - sell - loose out...9 out of 10 due to bad choice.

over and over..

And I'm here screaming 'get a dob' or binos at least..slowly does it & find the niche you like.

If you see my point.

Sorry for that, but it really bothers me. I feel like saying " but you didn't see this!.." or 'that'. well you get me point.:)

The questions are relevant, however precisely the total newbie wouldn't be able to answer them. I certainly couldn't last year when I started.

This is because choosing a scope should be the LAST thing you do on this hobby. There is an excellent sticky already explaining the go slow approach.

Hm, on second thought, you're on to something here...

This would be like a pre qualification phase: unless you can answer the questions above, don't buy a scope!

I think it's a great idea.

Budget should be higher on the list. Also They need to ask themselves. "Where am I going to store my new scope"? This is pretty important as how a scope 'fits' in your life is rather critical if you, your scope and your families relationship is to be a happy one.

Regards Steve

Just a few more suggestion-questions which might help focus the beginner's enquiry and the experts' replies (some a very similar to the original OP, so there is a pattern here):

a) What is your budget?

:) Where will you be observing from?

c) From this given site, is there space for you to move around and observe the sky?

d) How will you get your telescope to that site (a telescope, mount and tripod are generaly very heavy).

e) What do you want to observe? What do you think you will see through your new telescope?

f) How much time will have to dedicate yourself to this hobby?

g) Is there any particular area of astronomy you're interested in? (If you put astro-photography, then double or triple your budget!!)

h) Do you think you need a telescope to help you find objects in the night sky?

i) Where will you store your telescope?

j) Is there any telescope you already have in mind?

Great idea! I'm sure we all remember how daunting it can be when trying to pick your first telescope.

Being fairly new to Astronomy, I think I would find the list pretty intimidating and possibly off-putting. So I think a more refined list would be ideal.

If people are going to spend their pennies on a scope, they're probably already looking into the matter, and judging by the amount of new posts and the inherent concern therein, I wouldn't presuppose that folk were not already spending valuable time trying to make their best and most reasoned decision possible. A well-focused questionaire may not only save time, clarify their own concerns, but also help people point them in the right direction.

The Spanish speaking astronomy forum I visit already has this type of questionaire and everyone asking 'a which scope question' must fill them in: ENCUESTA útil para pedir opinión y ayuda en elección de telescopio astronómico - astronomo.org .. To date, I haven't seen anyone complain. As can be witnessed, the questionaire runs to something like 29 given points, but I feel we could do it in no more than ten.

I appreciate that this is meant to help beginners to focus their thoughts, but (at the risk of seeming to be contrary for the sake of it) it comes across a little as helping the regular forum-user rather than the starter/enquirer.

However, I think this "form-filling" will be off-putting for some. The last thing some of us want is the sense that this is "work"; we get enough of that at work :rolleyes:. Maybe point people towards a questionnaire as an aid to their thinking, but the last thing needed is any element of compulsion to answer these questions, or this to be a barrier to people getting good responses.

I like this forum precisely because most people here are willing to gently, patiently and knowledgably help newcomers and to deal with seemingly dumb or inane or ill-considered questions (I know, I've probably asked more than my fair share) with common sense and good humour.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...:)

thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I also thought a shorter list of questions would be better, but then found that as some would need to be missed off the list, they may need to get asked anyway in response to someone's query. But I'm open to suggestions for any which are not so relevant or important which can be knocked off. Also open to re-wording the questions to be more 'friendly' LOL, as they might be a bit direct for some people (I'm an engineer so like things to be to the point!)

A flow chart, or a series of links guiding to a particular scope solution would also be good, but it might not encompass all the possible solutions from a broad range of people, like responses to a thread would. It would also take a bit of work to produce and the answers could be biased towards the opinions and experiences of whoever did the chart.

Regarding putting off newbies, the whole thing would be purely optional. Anyone could still ask 'what scope would be best' without providing any information. It would just be a recommendation. If they had already started to look at scopes and what they wanted to do with it, then answering a few questions would mean they got better responses from the forum. It would also prompt people to think about each of these items before purchasing. I know when I started out, I had no idea what questions to ask, what needed to be considered or even what I wanted, so it took me a couple of years of trying many scopes and setups before I settled on one (which I just changed LOL!).

i would suggest on a line with umadog.

have a sticky ( which telescope to buy) or something.

then before the questionaire comes up have a brief outline /guide on each question that would be asked.

so for example if one question was " are you interested in taking pictures ?"

have a small paragraph that explains that long exposures require good mounts and you'll need a equatorial mount Ect.

so a newbie will have a brief outline of what they are getting into.

in a nut shell, you'd be giving a very brief outline on each question,that saves some newbies hunting the info down on the www., most do alot of research themselfs , but others dont do any whatso ever,and this sticky would be ideal.

id have loved to have had one when i first thought of buying a telescope,as id not one clue where to start.

ive seen simular stickys on other forums in the past. but ive not seen one where you can fill in a questionaire at the end to get the opinion of the members, nice idea .

Archived