NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor back pain, new scope needed :(

I have a problem with my back that is now causing me all sorts of pain in various other tender part of my anatomy. It seem that my back doesn't like the height which my refractor is at and I am in pain. I haven't been to bad for a few days till last night, nice and clear wasn't it, I managed 15 minutes. Clearly this can't go on. I love my RS100 to bits but obviously there are limits, its going to have to go, very sad about it I am too :) Its been on the cards for a few months if I'm honest but I can't ignore it any more I'm afraid. I nearly sold my TAL last month but bottled out as I really enjoy using it.

So what to do? Its obviously about eyepiece height. What is the best option do we think? Its seems as if I need to be as upright as possible.

I have an AZ4 which I really enjoy using and had considered putting a Newton on it as a last resort. Its either that or a SCT perhaps on another mount. I have a small cottage and nowhere to keep a large scope. To complicate things even more I often have to move my outfit round the garden to escape light, trees etc which is why I use an AZ4

I'm going round in circles here, what do we think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AZ-4 mount will take a 6" F/5 newtonian quite comfortably and the eyepiece will be at a very convenient height. I have back problems and sympathise regarding the refractor - I use a 16" pillar extension with my long refractor and that gets the eyepiece up to a much better height, even when viewing the zenith area.

be prepared for a slightly whacky / extreme suggestion ...

how about keep the scope, change to a goto mount with an auto focuser and a webcam / laptop ?

extreme but you could sit / stand wherever you liked and even start a bit of imaging

Good luck with whatever you choose and I hope your back isn't too bad ...

John I would value your opinion here, do think a TAL 150P would be too much for an AZ4, I've heard they are very heavy.

I think the TAL 150P might be a bit on the heavy side although I did use an Intes 6" F/6 mak-newtonian on my AZ-4 a few times and that is a 10kg tube. I was thinking of the Skywatcher 150P as it's quite a short and light tube.

I think the TAL 150P might be a bit on the heavy side although I did use an Intes 6" F/6 mak-newtonian on my AZ-4 a few times and that is a 10kg tube. I was thinking of the Skywatcher 150P as it's quite a short and light tube.

I think you are right, I just like TAL. There is the OO option I suppose, hell of a lot of money for a Newton though, worth it?

If going for a newt i would still go for the skywatcher or tal over the OO.

just an idea but how about getting a pier made up for the tal so that you can view at the right height for your comfort

I know where you are coming from with the back, had over 35 years of it, I have just invested in a 12 pillar extension for my GEM mount to raise the refractor higher so I do not have to stoop forward so much to look into the ep, would this type of thing help you ? :)

John.

I use a SkyWatcher 150P on an AZ4 and it's a very nice match. Easy to use, convenient eyepiece height, nice and light to move around. I have to say I've been quite happy with the SW optics as well.

I totally prefer Newtonians and dobs in particular. I really don't like having to work around a tripod as it becomes tiresome when trying to position the chair and I always feel like I am leaning in. I took a decision a while ago to have newtonians only as I prefer the apochromatic views plus the ability to mod them and improve their performance more easily than with other systems.

One of the other reasons which is more relevant to you is that I really like to be comfortable when observing and this basically means straight back and very adjustable seating. I find with a dob or other types of alt az mount, the focuser stays in the same position broadly and especially with shorter OTAs (say 1m and less focal length) there is very little difference in height between the zenith and the horizon - e.g. maybe a foot with my 6" f5.

My recommendation would be either a dobsonian or you might want to try a Giro mount with a pedestal mount. I think both of these options would suit you but they are not suitable for imaging unfortunately.

I use a SkyWatcher 150P on an AZ4 and it's a very nice match. Easy to use, convenient eyepiece height, nice and light to move around. I have to say I've been quite happy with the SW optics as well.

I think this is the route I am going to go down. I am in quite a lot of pain and discomfort after my short session last night. As much as I love my TAL, its going :)

I can't go on like this.

I have over 200 miles to drive tomorrow, wish me luck, its gonna hurt.

Your gonna miss it :) the amount of times i thought about selling my 100RS, but its a keeper:)

If your getting a lot of pain using the refractor then its best to change your set up, or you will end up not using any scope

Archived